blue hippo tang question

florida joe

I have a hippo 4 inches and a blond Naso 3.5 inches in my 90 reef for a year now. over the years I noticed in smaller tanks they don't grow much. had a purple in a 90 for years once she got to the 150 she grew 2 inches in a year. long story but I am separating from the wife after the holidays . I plan to move out. going to get a 6 foot tank soon.
I feel the same way about tank size. As four your other issue I hope all turns out well for everyone involved

2quills

That's an improvement I believe at one time it was a 40 gallon.
Yeah I remember it was something crazy like that.

Interestingly enough it appears they've recently changed their recommendations. 75g for a yellow and 180g for a hippo.

For years they had been much lower.

jay0705

To quote bang guy" its not just the size but swimming habits of the fish" i have a blonde naso aswell, i really do like the naso species of tangs. They do need bigger tanks tho. Ive always stayed away from hippos bc of the ich magnet stereotype

florida joe

just my .02 the ick magnet stereotype was something i always found funny. Are they more susceptible to ick due to their slime coat. its possible. Do they attract ick NO. I never assume new fish have ick. i never threat prophylactically. Fish are stressed enough. Most good saltwater stores are running copper anyway

lmforbis

I have a totally ich free tank and there is no way I am going to put a fish from an online source into my tank without proper QT. I'm not going to risk the lives of the other healthy fish in my tank. I don't use meds just tank transfer followed by 2 weeks of observation.

jay0705

True enough. Maybe one day i will take a hippo leap. It should mix will my current residents.

florida joe

I have a totally ich free tank and there is no way I am going to put a fish from an online source into my tank without proper QT. I'm not going to risk the lives of the other healthy fish in my tank. I don't use meds just tank transfer followed by 2 weeks of observation.
so you quarantine or treat without indication of trouble

one-fish

So is 2 Weeks observation correct What is the life cycle of most common parasites/diseases that commonly occur........wanting to add a new fish soon

lmforbis

I do 2 weeks of tank transfers, every 72 hours moved into a new sterile tank with PVC and an air stone. No meds unless I have a reason to treat. Last transfer is into larger cycles QT where it stays for min 2 weeks of observation. Total time is between 28 and 30 days. Tank transfers eliminate ich by outrunning the parasites life cycle.
If something crops up while the fish is in the observation tank I will medicate and QT is extended. Like when black ich showed up on my yellow tang. That fish was on QT for over 2 months.

florida joe

I do 2 weeks of tank transfers, every 72 hours moved into a new sterile tank with PVC and an air stone. No meds unless I have a reason to treat. Last transfer is into larger cycles QT where it stays for min 2 weeks of observation. Total time is between 28 and 30 days. Tank transfers eliminate ich by outrunning the parasites life cycle.
If something crops up while the fish is in the observation tank I will medicate and QT is extended. Like when black ich showed up on my yellow tang. That fish was on QT for over 2 months.
so you are saying that tank transfers eliminate ick ?? now i am really confused about black ick. are you talking about turbellarian flatworms. if so you held the tang in a QT for 2 months. why not just use PrazilPro

Last edited:

lmforbis

Yes the tank transfer method, if done correctly, does eliminate ich. Only ich not velvet or other parasites. The yellow didn't show signs of black ich (turbellarian flat worms) until it was most of the way through the QT. I did treat with prazi pro. It took 2 cycles of prazipro treatment to finally clear the fish.

2quills

just my .02 the ick magnet stereotype was something i always found funny. Are they more susceptible to ick due to their slime coat. its possible. Do they attract ick NO. I never assume new fish have ick.
If you're buying fish from a big chain pet store you should always assume. I'm not necessarily saying treat but definitely observe. I know the bigger pet stores around here have it in their systems.

Tangs in general lack any real protective scale structure. Their scales are tiny to the point it's more like skin. And lacking a thick, toxic layer of mucus I'd suspect that would make them a more attractive target for a parasite that likes to burrow under the skin and not just attack the gills.

I'm sorry Joe. I cannot accept this .02

one-fish

Really guess i'll never get a new fish......QT then transfer to another tank QT want to be safe but....

florida joe

If you're buying fish from a big chain pet store you should always assume. I'm not necessarily saying treat but definitely observe. I know the bigger pet stores around here have it in their systems.

Tangs in general lack any real protective scale structure. Their scales are tiny to the point it's more like skin. And lacking a thick, toxic layer of mucus I'd suspect that would make them a more attractive target for a parasite that likes to burrow under the skin and not just attack the gills.

I'm sorry Joe. I cannot accept this .02
As far as the bigger pet stores having Ick in their tanks i agree as you know they have interconnected saltwater tanks So they can not treat for ick without killing other living things. That s why all good LFS have segregated fish tanks this allows them to run copper.
I think you are giving ick parasite to much credit. I don't think they say OH goody its a tang lets go after it. its more as i stated tangs are more susceptible and NOT that they attract ick

2quills

As far as the bigger pet stores having Ick in their tanks i agree as you know they have interconnected saltwater tanks So they can not treat for ick without killing other living things. That s why all good LFS have segregated fish tanks this allows them to run copper.
I think you are giving ick parasite to much credit. I don't think they say OH goody its a tang lets go after it. its more as i stated tangs are more susceptible and NOT that they attract ick
Regardless of the way we want to pronounce the word Tomato it sounds like you agree that if Ich is in a system than hippos and a few others are almost certainly the 1st to show signs of it. Hence their reputation.

florida joe

this my friend is why i love you in a manly way of course. Ick magnet or ick more susceptible to me there is a difference. If you were a new hobbyist which phrase would scare you more

2quills

this my friend is why i love you in a manly way of course. Ick magnet or ick more susceptible to me there is a difference. If you were a new hobbyist which phrase would scare you more
Neither since I have a difficulty discerning any major difference between the two.

You might as well be asking me what is the difference between ISIS and ISIL. They both fit the definition of terrorism and prefere to attack less protected targets.