Blue Hippo Tang

kynekke

SWF.com says these just need a 40 gallon tank minimum... has anyone had experience with them in a 55 gallon tank? Did they do well?

ice4ice

Tangs are best in 125 gallons or larger tanks. Regardless of what SWF says the minimum tank size, I wouldn't get it for a 55 gallon tank.

limitedslip

ice4ice is right, hippo blue tangs will quickly outgrow a 55 depending on you feeding schedule, and u will eventually have to upgrade to a 125 or more for a more permanent home for it.

dragonzim

The 40 gallon minimum that they list is for a tiny baby one. It would VERY quickly outgrow that size tank. Hippos get pretty good. I'd say a minimum of a 125 is needed.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by Kynekke
SWF.com says these just need a 40 gallon tank minimum... has anyone had experience with them in a 55 gallon tank? Did they do well?
I had mine in a 75g 3 years ago when she was 3 inches. She was nipping at everyone within a year. I have her in a 180 now and she is much better.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by Kynekke

SWF.com has great livestock, but i disagree with some of the tank size recomendations. Personally I think tank length matters more then gallons(to an extent) at a bare min I would not have a tang in anything under 48" , I think 72 or 96" is better.

tromano32

I bought one for my 24g nano when it was about 1/2" and and within the next few months it grew significantly and started also showing signs of aggression and stress so I sadly had to trade her in at the fish store.
P.S. I knew the fish required a bigger tank when it got big but I didn't think it would grow that fast.