Blue Hippo wont come out of hiding?

calirob

Hey guys I got a 4 inch Blue Hippo last week and he is soooo shy.
When I bought him he looked really healthly but was hiding at the LFS too.
He hasent eaten that I know of and I catch him sneaking out every once in a while but thats it. 99% of the time hes in his spot and wont move.
I know they are shy but is this normal. No other tank mates bother him in my 125. Great water quality, but no swimming for the Blue Guy

mcsd22

That is not abnormal. Give him some time and try soaking some mysis in garlic and see if that gets his attention. Mine is not shy of me now but acted the same when he was new. If someone else is close to the tank even now he heads for the rocks.

snapperboy

ya mine (about4-5in.) is 2 months now in my tank and for the first few weeks he/she always was hiding if you were in view, and woud grab food then hide and grab food/hide at feeding. Mine still hides more than the other tangs (yellow + naso) but is not nearly as bad as that first stage. ...I'd say mines in a "stage two" with three being not shy at all. The addition of the other fish helped get it swimming around the entire tank and decreased the shyness. ..hopes this helps in some way ..

E

emeralcrab

Mine did the same thing, when she was in hypo by herself she would dart out to eat but that was it. When she went in the big tank she hid but she is kind of a pig, she can't let the others eat her food. So now she is out all the time. She will still dart off and hide when you walk over, but then come out..I've had her for about 3 months now.

tnn1567

I have 6 blue tangs and they have always been shy at first. I lured them out by getting 6 chromis. When feeding time came along, the chromis would always be the first to eat. Eventually, the blue tangs started to come out since they are more aggresive the chromis. :happyfish