blue leg hermits live in 1.010?

drea

i'm in the process of returning my salinity back to normal from hypo... But Why did my 2 hermits survive in 1.010? Plus I dropped them in with no acclimation from 1.030!!!!!!!!!!!
and yes i'm using a refractermeter and glass hydrometer
thanx

fishieness

that is realy realy odd.... hermits must have something about them that i do not know about. Like they can regulate the amount of water entering and exiting their shells.....
i have no idea, im mainly posting so i can subscribe and see if anyone knows.

drea

bump, idk...... anyone else have experience w/ this? I'm just trying to understand the invert/salinity relationship... I guess there have to be exceptions

darth tang

Hermits seem to be an exception to this rule. I had the same thing happen when I was in Hypo a while back. I talked with my fish guy and he said Hermits have a 60/40 chance of surviving in those conditions. But all other inverts will not..

ophiura

Its hit or miss. Many species of hermits are intertidal, and may be found in tide pools where there can be an extreme range of salinity and temperature. It is hit or miss, I don't recommend it for sure, but some will survive it.

texasmetal

I have 3 hermits that survived a 10 gallon apocalypse when I moved a few months ago. Pretty tough critters. What's the difference between the ones you see in the saltwater trade as opposed to the giant ones you see at pet shops out of water with decorated shells? Considering they live out of water too I would assume water conditions don't have much of an effect at all on hermits.

ophiura

Totally different beasts. One obviously terrestrial. Will die under water if put there long term. THe others are marine hermit crabs and can not live out of water very long. Very different beasts.

hawthorn

hypo is dropping your salinity where as hyper is rising your salinity it can help in getting rid of some diseases.

fishieness

it is placing your fish in a hypotonic solution. The salinity is lowered so the concentration of water molecules on the outside of animals are lowered. It causes the water form within cells to go to the outside of the animal. It kills most inverts and can put stress on fish. This is why it is used to kill ick, and will kill most inverts during treatment.