blue leg hermits safe???

twogirls

okay, my husband ordered a group of bluelegged hermits from swf before he did much research on them. we were looking for algae eaters and he read a few posts that said that they were good, but my question now is that I have read other posts that say that they will eat our snails. Is it true? And if so, what do I do with these bluelegs that should be here tomorrow? (we tried to change the order, but the live stuff went under the $79.99 so they told us to add something to the order in order for them to take the hermits off. I sent a message to add some turbo/astrea snails instead, but I don't think that they got the message)
what do I do? :help:

pfitz44

Make sure there are plenty of shells... Blue legs are the most agressive IMO. I stay as clear as possible of them. But i do have some in my 90, and they do tend to kill my snails. I just repepulate them 3 times a year

ginarox

thats what i do too,,,it doesnt cost alot to buy snails....good luck,,i have them too...have a great day..

twogirls

will they hurt anything besides my snails? I have a sixline wrasse, diamond goby, peppermint shrimp, emrald crabs, and random snails.

m0nk

Your other inhabitants will be fine. The only real agression that you'll see is against snails, and only if the hermits are A) in need of a new shell, or B) hungry. Make sure that they'll have enough to eat. If you get them to eat algae at first, but then all the problem algae is well kept up, then they'll need something else to work on. An extra flake or pellet now and again, or some mysid shrimp, will go a long way to keeping your snails alive.