Blue legged hermit safe with H. Erectus Seahorses?

dingus890

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before but are dwarf blue legged hermit crabs safe with Hippocampus Erectus seahorses?
Thank you for any help or info

zeke92

when i first started studying horses i read that anything wiht pinchers no matter what the size was dangerous..then as i learned more lots of people said small ones are fine. so i guess it would be debateable...i would think they would probably ignore the horse but who knows.

dingus890

Thank for your info.

Does anybody else have any info or experience about having Blue legged hermits in an H. Erectus seahorse tank?

pete159

i have about 20 hermits in my 46g bowfront, plus 2 halloween hermits that are getting a bit large. Small hermits are fine with anything pretty much, they would never attack a seahorse, at least i've never heard of it happening. they might attack a snail for its shell though as i have seen happen

novahobbies

I've got 4 blue-leg hermits in with my H. reidis, and never have a problem with them. The only issue I've ever had was when one learned he could climb IN the feeding bowl...but he couldn't climb OUT.
So now I just shoo him out with the baster if I see him in the food trough before the horses' dinnertime.
I wouldn't recommend most red-leg species...they tend to get bigger faster.

rykna

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2752155
I've got 4 blue-leg hermits in with my H. reidis, and never have a problem with them. The only issue I've ever had was when one learned he could climb IN the feeding bowl...but he couldn't climb OUT.
So now I just shoo him out with the baster if I see him in the food trough before the horses' dinnertime.
I wouldn't recommend most red-leg species...they tend to get bigger faster.
That's hermit crabs for you!!!

dingus890

Thank you for the all info.
I will monitor to make sure the hermits do not harm the horses.If they do,back to the coral tank.
Rykna you post on Dwarfs are so helpful!
I do not have any nor plan on any ponies but when I was researching them,your post were always so helpful.
I decided to get an H. Kuda for my SH only tank.Will have pics in the future!

rykna

Originally Posted by dingus890
http:///forum/post/2755902
Thank you for the all info.
I will monitor to make sure the hermits do not harm the horses.If they do,back to the coral tank.
Rykna you post on Dwarfs are so helpful!
I do not have any nor plan on any ponies but when I was researching them,your post were always so helpful.
I decided to get an H. Kuda for my SH only tank.Will have pics in the future!
Thank you!! Glad to be of help. Look forward to your pics

shaunalynna

Not exactly sure what type of seahorses I have cause the store didn't even know! She said she could find out but I bet I can fin out before her

I have 2 small hermits 2 snails "ones that eat on rock and walls" not sure of the species name and then 2 tiny snails "ones that burry in the sand and go on walls" again not sure of species names. I have yet to have any problems with any of them and have heard no problems so far from others about hermits. I guess it is personal choice and opinion to each as to if you want to keep them in there or not. I myself have decided to remove my hermits from "all" tanks I have though as they seem to like to bulldoze things and get all over my frags and move them in tanks.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by Shaunalynna
http:///forum/post/2756998
Not exactly sure what type of seahorses I have cause the store didn't even know! She said she could find out but I bet I can fin out before her

I have 2 small hermits 2 snails "ones that eat on rock and walls" not sure of the species name and then 2 tiny snails "ones that burry in the sand and go on walls" again not sure of species names. I have yet to have any problems with any of them and have heard no problems so far from others about hermits. I guess it is personal choice and opinion to each as to if you want to keep them in there or not. I myself have decided to remove my hermits from "all" tanks I have though as they seem to like to bulldoze things and get all over my frags and move them in tanks.
Oh, so mean! Don't you know you HAVE to post pics when you throw down comments like this? I wanna see your mystery seahorses!

And re: hermits bulldozing....yeah, the larger ones will do that, but wait until you see what a mexican turbo snail can do! Mine don't just bulldoze....they steamroller. One in my 110G reef is the size of a living ping-pong ball.
EDIT: I don't know how it is up in Jax, but down here most of the CB horses I see in my LFS are either H. erectus or H. reidi. Although according to an expert I know, the little brown girl in my avatar may have been a mislabeled H. barbouri......she was pretty small and her cirri were more developed than a common erectus. Lost her to a tail-rot vibrio infection a couple months ago...