blue legged hermits and snails kill skunk shrimp?

seanh287

i acclaimated the 2 cleaner shrimp, then placed them into the tank. about 20 minutes later theres about 5 snails and 2 blue legged hermit crabs on him. i call the fish store and the guy said it was the weirdest thing. he said he would replace the one, but why would they do that....the tank gets fed 2 times a day

mx mr bean

hermitts are scavengers and snails are grazers. the shrimp was more than likely dead already which attracted the hermits to it (since they are ur janitors in the tank)

earlybird

I witnessed a blue leg dig up a nassarius snail then he and another blue leg murdered and ate the snail.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by NEreef
most likely died from acclimation. how did you acclimate?
That is what I was thinking as well. Also what is your SG reading?

buckster71

You can always tell when something is on the shnide when the blue hermits chase it. Nothing worse than waking up to a clam being devoured....

One time I added some turbo snails. One fell of the rocks to the back upside down and the hermit pounced on it. However, the lucky turbo who was grabbed by the hermit was pulled upright and the hermit lost interest.
My cleaner shrimps are the CEO's of the janitor crew and I'm surprised to hear about that. I agree that it probably lost the acclimation battle

seanh287

the other shrimp is fine. i did a temp aclimation for 15 minutes. put a 1/4 cup of water in the bag every 15 minutes for an hour...then filled the rest of the bag up. then they went in. 15 mins into being in the water snails and a crab was ontop. the guys gonna replace him but i was still completely confused how it could die that quick from acclimation.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by seanh287
the other shrimp is fine. i did a temp aclimation for 15 minutes. put a 1/4 cup of water in the bag every 15 minutes for an hour...then filled the rest of the bag up. then they went in. 15 mins into being in the water snails and a crab was ontop. the guys gonna replace him but i was still completely confused how it could die that quick from acclimation.
The shrimp would normaly hide. They are quick, the snails and hermits woud not have had a chance unless he was in acclimation shock or already dead. Inverts should be drip acclimated for 3-4 hours.

seanh287

well thats why i am still a beginner. this is my first fish tank, fresh or salt. i will watch the flash on acclimation before i get another shrimp, thanks