blue linka's arm is rotting away, help!

kevin

I have a new blue linka starfish, only 10 days old and the tip of one arm is all opened up and seems to be rotting away. What should I do? The closest store (where I bought it) is 80 miles away so I have little immediate local help. Thanks.

W

wrassefan

I believe the star fishes are very sensitive to changes in ph and salinity. If the starfish was acclimated too quickly, that might have been the root of the problem.

eelman

I was watching "who wants to bea a millionare" and I learned that starfish do not have a brain.

corky

Is guess the clock is ticking. I just bought 1 yesterday. The fish guy picked him out of the tank with his own bare hands. What's up with that? I did not know they were that vulnerable. I was actually told that they were one of the easier stars to keep. Are the edible?lol

corky

Maybe it's just my ignorance but, aren't there two types of blue starfish? One from somewhere and the other from somewhere else? At least that's what one fish store owner told me as he tried to sell me one of his at $40. saying it was the heartier of the two blues. Was this just a sales pitch?

kevin

Well, thank you all for the input, unfortunately nothing helped. I ended up cutting off half of one arm and the tip of another that was starting to do the same thing. Boy these guys are tough, it took a lot of force to severe the arms.Anyway he just kept rotting away. When the one arm got all the way to the disk and then kept going I threw him away. All other fish and inverts seem to be happy and no degredation of water quality. I thought I acclimated correctly but maybe that was the problem.