Blue Linkia in a 55

drewdog82

I know that a tank has to be very established to add a linkia (sea star). I was wondering though if it was ok to put one in a 55???

alyssia

Blues require a tank of at least 100 gallons, w/at least 100 pounds of LR. I think you could do an orange linckia though, depending on how much LR you have.

drewdog82

Originally Posted by alyssia
Blues require a tank of at least 100 gallons, w/at least 100 pounds of LR. I think you could do an orange linckia though, depending on how much LR you have.
I have 85 lbs. of LR..... so basically the orange stay smaller than the blue??

alyssia

Originally Posted by drewdog82
I have 85 lbs. of LR..... so basically the orange stay smaller than the blue??

I'm not sure about size, I've just always read on here that blues need a bigger tank. Not sure why though. You could do an orange with that amount of LR, or a multiflora. Not sure about the burgandy.

mrdc

A fromia milleporella may work also. Just remember whatever star you decide to get, drip acclimate very well. I would also not let the LFS take it out of the water to put in the plastic bag. JMO!

sw65galma

By any chance are any of the ones u 2 just listed- blue???
No,
Blue have only a 1% survuial rate in the home aquaria.

drewdog82

Originally Posted by sw65galma
No,
Blue have only a 1% survuial rate in the home aquaria.
I just wanted to add some nice blue to my tank, because none of the fish with nice blue are small enough for a 55 and I can't find any nice blue inverts... My last chance is corals, and I know there are some nice blue mushrooms.... if anyone has any ideas on how I can get some blue into my tank, please help???
Also, 1%... do u know if the orange has a much higher survivability rate???

bkvreef

I had purchased a blue linkia several months ago in my 55. Any suggestions that could help?
He seems to be fine, but just in case any help as far as diet or additives?

sw65galma

I just wanted to add some nice blue to my tank, because none of the fish with nice blue are small enough for a 55 and I can't find any nice blue inverts... My last chance is corals, and I know there are some nice blue mushrooms.... if anyone has any ideas on how I can get some blue into my tank, please help???
Also, 1%... do u know if the orange has a much higher survivability rate???
Ya the orange it's like 5-10%, not all that much better.
for blue inverts, there is Blue leg hermits..Blue coral banded shrimp. Blue pistol shrimp. or a blue sponge..

mr. guitar

Blue Linckia's can be kept in a 55 Gallon tank. I have one in mine and it's doin' great!!! I've had it over a month with no problems. Orange Linckia's are very hardy, in my opinion. I used to have one in my 30 Gallon. It lived over a year until somethin' killed all my inverts. If you want a Blue Linckia, get one that's from the Figi Islands. They are much harder than the others because of the warmer waters.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
Blue Linckia's can be kept in a 55 Gallon tank. I have one in mine and it's doin' great!!! I've had it over a month with no problems. Orange Linckia's are very hardy, in my opinion. I used to have one in my 30 Gallon. It lived over a year until somethin' killed all my inverts. If you want a Blue Linckia, get one that's from the Figi Islands. They are much harder than the others because of the warmer waters.

A month is nothing. Success is measured by whether they survive a year or more.

alyssia

Originally Posted by bkvreef
I had purchased a blue linkia several months ago in my 55. Any suggestions that could help?
He seems to be fine, but just in case any help as far as diet or additives?

They only graze off of LR. Their aren't any additives you can give them.

elvictre

I have a Blue linka in my 75 for 2 years now. I also have a ton of LR. The key IMO is to slowly acclimate them and if you’re lucky spot feed. Mine takes frozen cubes and it also latches onto the seaweed clip and eats.
As far as a Blue Tang I would only add one that is very tiny. I know they sell tiny ones everywhere. I am talking about 1 1/2 inches at the most. It will grow rather quickly so be prepared if it does to either upgrade your tank or take it back to the LFS. I also have one in my 75 and it has outgrown the tank.
Vic

ophiura

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar

These stars take approximately 12 to 18 months to starve to death, so I am afraid you are not even close to claiming success yet I am afraid.
Blue Linckia are very very unlikely to survive long term in this size tank. If you want to risk it...I guess what is to stop you. But please note they in general can NOT be spot fed, and need a minimum of 150lbs of LR, IMO, to have even a good chance of survival. Rarely they may survive in certain smaller tanks, or by taking to spot feeding as above, but do not count on this. If you have no issues with an animal slowly starving to death (or dying in the first month from acclimation shock), then.... ***)
Any Linckia is a risk to keep in smaller tanks. You might be OK with Linckia multiflora which is sometimes blue, so long as this is a mature reef tank. But most other Linckia are still marginal...while people may have success now and then, it is important to understand that most do not.