Blue Linkia

ophiura

Nope, don't mess with him. They are known to stay in one place for a length of time. It'll figure out where to go.
Nice chems. What is your specific gravity and pH?

dek196

Originally posted by ophiura
Nope, don't mess with him. They are known to stay in one place for a length of time. It'll figure out where to go.
Nice chems. What is your specific gravity and pH?

My gravity is 1.024
and I dont have a test kit for Ph and calcium yet. Supposed to get them today but the Stomach Flu said otherwise!

ophiura

IMO, don't let your specific grav get much lower. You are at the bottom of the range for these beasts. I prefer it a touch higher actually, 1.025-1.026.
I'm more worried about pH than Calcium at this point. It is important to keep track of since it tends to drop over time and can cause problems when it, or more importantly the alkalinity (which is a "buffering capacity" sort of measure of the water's ability to withstand changes in pH, specifically withstand a drop in pH from the addition of an acid such as carbonic acid, formed when normal CO2 from animal respiration reacts with H2O). This is why pH normally shifts over the course of the day and should be measured early in morning (after lights on) and in the evening (before lights out). So alk isn't bad to check either. There is a complex (to me!) relationship between pH, alk and calcium, that you may (or may not) learn more about with your reactor.
AND, I hope you feel better :D !

sw65galma

Originally posted by ophiura
Well, I've studied echinoderms a bit myself, LOL. 10 years of dissertation research on brittlestars! :D (OK, enough
and no I didn't find a job doing that! :notsure: Can't explain it. )
Anyway, let me assure you, if even a brief exposure to air is fatal, then they would never make it into the hobby at all. They would be dead by the time they reached the supplier houses in LA.
I've discussed this issue and similar with colleagues and this exposure is not considered a major factor. I've even read threads where some hobbyists leave their Linckia "high and dry" during a water change with no ill affects. Now if they dropped the salinity or impacted the pH significantly...that is bad. I don't recommend it, if it can be avoided, but, IMO, it is not a significant factor when compared to some others.
This species is not a deep water star. I've found them in a few inches of water. Typical shallow coral reef stars but don't have exact depth range right now.

Well I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and minimize expossure to air.
Although I must say for being false information, it sure is in a lot of places.
I'm glad I found a star expert, because I would love to know more about them.

ophiura

I'll definitely agree on minimizing exposure AND that it is out there in a lot of places! But you would be amazed what sort of misinformation is out there :eek: I find it interesting that there is often more mention of not exposing the animal to air than there is about its other basic needs (lots of grazing, long acclimation,etc)!
I can share with you some brittlestar info. But, with my apologies as I haven't updated it in a long while:
http://ophiuroid.home.att.net

jstudly21

i have a blue starfish :) wondering if this is what people are talking about or could give me a name? i have had this for awhile, not sure how long exactly. I also have a black tipped red reef starfish or something to that name lol

sw65galma

Originally posted by jstudly21
i have a blue starfish :) wondering if this is what people are talking about or could give me a name? i have had this for awhile, not sure how long exactly. I also have a black tipped red reef starfish or something to that name lol

So you have these and don't know anything about them?
How do you care for them?

ophiura

The pic is a Blue Linkia which is the subject of this thread. The black tip reef star is probably a Fromia. Both compete for the same limited resource. How old is your tank?

jstudly21

i have a 75 gallon tank that has been setup for like year or more lol not really sure on the whole thing. its probably been longer :) when you have a tank that is not where you want it, it seems like eternity. They have been in the tank together for about 3 months or could be alot longer. thank you for identifying my starfish, i thought that is what it was but wanted to make sure :)

ophiura

Just keep an eye on them. The tank is good and mature, which is part of the battle, but a bit on the small side for these two. You won't really know how they are doing until they last a good year.

jayrascoe

I'm one of the many who have lost a blue linkia.
I bought a green brittle star, though, and it is a lot more fun to watch, because they move so quickly. When I feed, sometimes it does cartwheels along the glass. They're a lot easier to keep (although i hear they grow really fast).
Good luck to you!

montidanae

Ophiura, at my LFS they have orange/purple/blue and pinkis strawberry Mutilflora linkias, i am not goign to attempt the blue or purple, but would the strawberry multiflora or the orange have a better chance of living? need any specs on my tank?

ophiura

Hmmm, well I am not sure what some of those guys are. Linckia multiflora is a specific species that is smaller, and has a mottled coloration (usually beige with red/blue mottling). I am not familiar with some of these others. I don't want to confuse anyone...blue, purple and orange as well as maroon are different species of Linckia, and all require pretty sizable systems. I've heard that the orange does marginally better than the blue, but it is still, IMO, a hit or miss to keep them in tanks less than 100g. A true Linckia multiflora is the only one that I would give a better chance of survival to.
Tank specs are always helpful! :)

jourdy

do linckias eat clams?
what kind of starfish doesnt? im thinking of getting one when my tank gets older.
so far, all ive seen in the lfs are blue linckias, choco chips, brittlestars, and once, an orange/red linckia. :)