Blue Montipora cap. ?

harrysreef

I purchased a blue/purple montipora cap. It has been changing to a brown color. I have it under MH, is this because to much light and it is darking itself or to little? Its about 18" from the bulb which is 10k. The bulb is 8 months old so I expect a shift in light but no other coral has changed and I typically change MH at 12 months. Water params good. I thought they did best under halides wondering if it should move to a PC lit tank. Open to all ideas.
Thanks

harrysreef

It is a 30 gal tank with 1 - 175 mh and 2 - 30 watt actnic NO
I thought to much light also waiting on more input Thanks for your thoughts

spsfreak100

It could be xoolanthae growth spur, cuz of a light change???
I've found that this can be true with anemones, some species of soft corals, and some encrusting species of Montipora (including M. denae and M. verrucosa). But, I doubt this is the reason for the fact that only 175wts of metal halides is present and that the coral is 18" from the waterline.
I would try the "trial-and-error" technique to see which area would best suit the coral, as far as coloration goes. Try placing the coral 5" higher than it is now. See if it regains coloration after a week or two. If not, try moving it 4-5" higher. See if it regains its coloration after a week or two. I would not try placing the coral lower, as it will most likely not receive enough lighting.
Water chemistry could also play a role with this. What's your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium, temperature and salinity (or, as much as you test for).
i found that SPS can change colors just from stress of new/different conditions.
I second that comment. I've added many new Acroporids, and within two weeks most of them turn brown. Fortunatly, as they grow out, they will usually regain their color greater than before.
I personally think placing it higher may make a significant difference.
Graham

attml

I would say about 50 to 75 % of my SPS are brown when I get them or change brown when added to my tank which is normal as Kip and Graham said. Unlike soft and many LPS corals which move in the current, SPS is stationary and it grows it's skeletol structure to maximze on it's suroundings. When moved many corals become stressed and loose color until they become acclimated to their new surroundings. If your water parameters are good it should color up in no time under the halide. Here is an example of a coral that had browned when I got it that became colorful when it got used to my tank.
Here it is on 9/22/03 when I got it

bdhough

Is it a seasoned piece, ie big? or small?
I've seen corals gain color as they grow bigger. Its most likely the monti isn't getting enough light to maintain its brilliance. From what i understand they shift to brown when they don't get enough light because it's easier to produce.....