Blue Moon out TONIGHT!!!

sueandherzoo

OK, Rykna, your plan is much better, but don't forget to "store" this bit of ammunition for future confrontations or to throw out when you need to get a dig in. The statute of limitations on these "guilting rights" don't expire until...... NEVER!
Sue

rykna

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2807962
OK, Rykna, your plan is much better, but don't forget to "store" this bit of ammunition for future confrontations or to throw out when you need to get a dig in. The statute of limitations on these "guilting rights" don't expire until...... NEVER!
Sue
Way ahead of you

errattiq

When you set up his tank, did you wait for it to initially cycle? The ammonia levels you're speaking of are reminiscent of a tank that is going through its initial nitrogen cycle... This seems appropriate for the time span between the day you set the tank up until you posted about the deteriorating ammonia levels, salinity etc... While top offs are a must to control salinity and aeration, ammonia is likely not a symptom, usually its nitrates that skyrocket when poor maintenance is taking place... let me know how things go!!
-josh p

rykna

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2808008
When you set up his tank, did you wait for it to initially cycle? The ammonia levels you're speaking of are reminiscent of a tank that is going through its initial nitrogen cycle... This seems appropriate for the time span between the day you set the tank up until you posted about the deteriorating ammonia levels, salinity etc... While top offs are a must to control salinity and aeration, ammonia is likely not a symptom, usually its nitrates that skyrocket when poor maintenance is taking place... let me know how things go!!
-josh p
Good thought, however, I set up his tank with cycled LS and LR from my tank. The water quality is a result of basic neglect of tank maintenance.

errattiq

You'll still go through the nitrogen cycle..... cycled LS and LR mean nothing in this case without established water..... If you did then disregard this comment LOL.... Not using established tank water in a new tank will cause die off from both LR and LS because the water doesn't contain the necessary nutrients/sustinence to support large bacterial colonies on established rock and sand. Therefore with competition for nutrients comes die off... Is there a new filter on this tank? If so there are no bacteria colonies to assist in waste transmission there either...
-Josh

rykna

http:///forum/post/2809012
You'll still go through the nitrogen cycle..... cycled LS and LR mean nothing in this case without established water..... If you did then disregard this comment LOL.... Not using established tank water in a new tank will cause die off from both LR and LS because the water doesn't contain the necessary nutrients/sustinence to support large bacterial colonies on established rock and sand. Therefore with competition for nutrients comes die off... Is there a new filter on this tank? If so there are no bacteria colonies to assist in waste transmission there either...
-Josh
Huh...what...??? Me? Disregard my fellow fish friends???
I have been guilty of this crime, but not this time
Most likely I skimmed through your post and missed this section.

Here's what I used to set up Brian's 15g:
LS- from my cycled tank
LR- from my cycled tank
10g of water from my cycled tank.
I also used filters from my cycled tank to ensure a sound bacteria colony.

errattiq

I am humbly corrected LOL!! Definitely a maintencance issue then. Barter with him, i.e. no dinner if a water change isn't done hehe. I just wanted to make sure I was tracking your situation right, that way I could give the best advice possble and give the best explanation for your predicament. Good luck!!
-Josh

rykna

http:///forum/post/2810068
I am humbly corrected LOL!! Definitely a maintencance issue then. Barter with him, i.e. no dinner if a water change isn't done hehe. I just wanted to make sure I was tracking your situation right, that way I could give the best advice possble and give the best explanation for your predicament. Good luck!!
-Josh
LOL!!! No prob, Definitely a good thought
It's always good to have input from others. When you mentioned "Did you use cycled or uncycled water", I knew I had found the answer to Brian's tank...NEGLECT

I'm visiting my parents this weekend with our daughter, Brian is having the weekend off at home. He said he would clean his tank.....

I sure hope he does.