Blue Ribbon Eel

goingpoor

awsome.......but i dont hink i will try one again got to much greef from it ......but i give you lots of props look very healthy

member007

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I got mine just over a month ago, and he is fine. He eats silversides.... Some time ago I got really mad becuse he would almost never come out from the pvc pipe, so I took out the pipe. Finally he was out swiming a lot, and I loved it. However he was not intrested in food at all. So what I did was I put a much smaller peace of pvc pipe in there. Now he comes out a little, and eats again. The only thing that I worry about is that he lost his blue color which became black. I don't know if it's because of the pvc pipe....?

witespy

Member007 said:
The only thing that I worry about is that he lost his blue color QUOTE]
Under the mouth?
That is very not good!!!!, they get infected from live feeder fish. You need to pull him out and treat him if he stops eating….You need to see them eat. Normally they will eat all the time.. like any other eel .they will take three silvers sides every day if you let them. You should be using trace elements… cutting off the lights for a day or two (week) might get him to eat. What are your nitrates? These things can live for months not eating, but time is imperative……. boy here we go again.

member007

WiteSpy said:
Originally Posted by Member007
The only thing that I worry about is that he lost his blue color QUOTE]
Under the mouth?
That is very not good!!!!, they get infected from live feeder fish. You need to pull him out and treat him if he stops eating….You need to see them eat. Normally they will eat all the time.. like any other eel .they will take three silvers sides every day if you let them. You should be using trace elements… cutting off the lights for a day or two (week) might get him to eat. What are your nitrates? These things can live for months not eating, but time is imperative……. boy here we go again.
He stopped eating after I took out the pvc pipe, and started eating again right after I put it back in a tank. It looks like he learned to take food from the stick only when he is in the pvc pipe.
As for his color it's not under his mouth.... It's the blue color of his whole body that turned black. My nitrates are just fine...

L

lockemup

Know what? I agree with goingpoor. Everyone has theories of how to do this and how to do that. Know what? Do what works for you in your house since the environment in each setup and room they are set up in is different (A/C in the home, ambient lighting unrelated to the tank lighting, number of people creating carbon dioxide in the closed up home, other house pets, etc.) All these things affect the tank even if you may not think so. If your methods work, great. If not, try something new. It sounds like goingpoor has a system of adding livestock that works out for her. Kudos!
I have QT fish before, tried acclimating them for 2-3 hours, and treated for all kinds of stuff before adding them only to have the crap not work.
This will make people cringe, but it works for ME
. I hang the bag with the new fish in the tank. I add stress coat to the bag and use a turkey baster to add about 25ML of my tank water into the bag every 5 minutes until the water temp is equall. Then I add the fish and discard the water (and the bag too...) I have not lost a fish since doing my "what the f*ck" method. Oh ya, I do have a sock filtration setup before the fuge and am running a 40 watt UV and am cycling the water by it getting 100% kill on parasites. Only bad thing is it killd the good stuff too. Between that and protien skimming, I go through phyto like it is beer!
Flame if you want, but it works for me
. I have even put one of my co-worker's soldier fish in my tank for a few weeks with signs of ick and immediately treated the food with garlick and did not use anything else. The fish did fine and none of the other fish caught it. The thing is back home with his master and doing well now.
Let the flames begin.

goingpoor

Originally Posted by lockemup
Know what? I agree with goingpoor. Everyone has theories of how to do this and how to do that. Know what? Do what works for you in your house since the environment in each setup and room they are set up in is different (A/C in the home, ambient lighting unrelated to the tank lighting, number of people creating carbon dioxide in the closed up home, other house pets, etc.) All these things affect the tank even if you may not think so. If your methods work, great. If not, try something new. It sounds like goingpoor has a system of adding livestock that works out for her. Kudos!
I have QT fish before, tried acclimating them for 2-3 hours, and treated for all kinds of stuff before adding them only to have the crap not work.
This will make people cringe, but it works for ME
. I hang the bag with the new fish in the tank. I add stress coat to the bag and use a turkey baster to add about 25ML of my tank water into the bag every 5 minutes until the water temp is equall. Then I add the fish and discard the water (and the bag too...) I have not lost a fish since doing my "what the f*ck" method. Oh ya, I do have a sock filtration setup before the fuge and am running a 40 watt UV and am cycling the water by it getting 100% kill on parasites. Only bad thing is it killd the good stuff too. Between that and protien skimming, I go through phyto like it is beer!
Flame if you want, but it works for me
. I have even put one of my co-worker's soldier fish in my tank for a few weeks with signs of ick and immediately treated the food with garlick and did not use anything else. The fish did fine and none of the other fish caught it. The thing is back home with his master and doing well now.
Let the flames begin.

Rock On with your bad self