Blue Ribbon Eel

goingpoor

Originally Posted by Member007
This is not cool! You still have one more alive and you are already looking for other alternatives!? You knew that it will not be easy to keep them alive... It is normal that they won't eat for the first week or two, but you have to keep trying. You knew that it's hard to feed them, and they are known as escape artists. Now you act like there is something wrong because they are not eating? You don't even have them for a week?

im not giving up on them i was just looking for another eel for a tank mate weather i get him eating or not is not weather i get nother eel or not

member007

OK, I must admit that I also got one after I read SantaMonica's post. I love these little guys, and when I realized there is a chance to keep them alive I didn't think twice.
I bought it last week on FRI, but mine is already blue/yellow. And guess what? After spending 8 hours(2h/day) trying feed him with guppies and gold fish he finally ate one medium sized gold fish today
. YEAH!!!! Do exactly what SantaMonica guy did, and feed it with medium sized RED color gold fish. Mine doesn't show any intrests with guppies or different color of gold fish. He took the fish right from the feeding stick...
I'll keep you posted on my status.... Let me know how is your doing?

goingpoor

OK, I must admit that I also got one after I read SantaMonica's post. I love these little guys, and when I realized there is a chance to keep them alive I didn't think twice.
I bought it last week on FRI, but mine is already blue/yellow. And guess what? After spending 8 hours(2h/day) trying feed him with guppies and gold fish he finally ate one medium sized gold fish today
. YEAH!!!! Do exactly what SantaMonica guy did, and feed it with medium sized RED color gold fish. Mine doesn't show any intrests with guppies or different color of gold fish. He took the fish right from the feeding stick...
I'll keep you posted on my status.... Let me know how is your doing?
cool im really excited to hear that! mine is showing more interest in the food will post video later im trying like three times a day to feed he is no longer afraid of the feeding clamps

goingpoor

ok my ribbon eel was acting realy weird this morning not acting like this anymore but i was wondering if anyone might know why he was doing this,i was trying to feed him frozen silersides (of course they where thawed out incase that pops into anyone head)and it was grabbed and took down the pvc pipe then he came out and started doing this ???????do you think he might have eaten it????????
:help: i am beyond determanded to get him to eat :help:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2021963927

joojoo

Hmm that is weird, looked like he was having a seizure. Maybe that's how he gets the food down his long body? He actually had the fish in his mouth?

goingpoor

Originally Posted by joojoo
Hmm that is weird, looked like he was having a seizure. Maybe that's how he gets the food down his long body? He actually had the fish in his mouth?

not sure he was at bottum of pvc and the silverside got yanked out of the claps so im asuming yes

member007

Any progress? Mine eats goldfish every day, but he is still shy, and stays most of the time in the pipe. I see him out maybe every other day.

joojoo

How often should I feed him, and what else would you recommend? Thanks

Are you trying to ween it onto frozen foods? Give it a damsel once a weak if you have to.

member007

My Update: he took a frozen silverside without any problem! Any idea how often should I feed him? Goingpoor how are you doing with feeding??? Maybe I can help?

sharkboy13

How long did he survive?
about 6 weeks, but then there couldve been other factors, my lfs doesnt have best params

goingpoor

YA HE FINALLY ATE THE THING IS I DIDNT SEE IT BUT I HAD PUT SILVERSIDES DOWN THE PVC PIPE AND WHEN HE CAME OUT HE HAD A BIG LUMP IN HIS STUMACH :jumping: SO IM ASUMING HE IS EATING KNOW BAD NEWS IS MY 240 GALLON TANK IS LEEKING FROM THE CORNER I HAVE ANOTHER 240 GALLON I GOT FROM LFS IM SETTING UP TODAY OH MY GOSH THIS SUCKS AND WHO KNOWS IF MY RIBBON EEL WILL MAKE IT THREW ALL THE TRANSFERING OR any of my other picky fish (clown tang ,achillies )
i will probably treat the fish before putting them back into tank maybe thats a good ideal

someone told me this ,but it did
here is a updated picture and you know what i think i ended up with a black ribbon eel wouldnt he be showing colors of blue already he is juvenal but im thinking juvenail black hes pretty big???????????

sharkboy13

Why did he die if he ate? No reason?
bad water qualities? ribbons r very sensitive to that