blue ring octo

murray bmf

Originally Posted by TX Reef
If a person is responsible, then there is no danger. It is very simple.....don't put your hand in the tank. Use a feeding stick and make sure the lid is on super tight. The octopus is not going to crawl out of the tank and come after you.....so if you never put your hand in the tank, how are you going to be harmed?
I personally will be getting one in a year or so. I think they are amazing creatures and would love to keep one at least once.....even though they have very short lifespans.....
Go ahead and bash me, but you people over react when it comes to this creature.
I'm all for people keeping this creature as they are facinating (sp) as long as they are experienced and such... safety..blah blah.... you know the story. It's just the margin of error with these things is so small. I keep aligator snapping turtles as well as SWF, and I get bashed all the time (not here) so I know how you feel. Good luck though, if I make a mistake I just lose a hand or finger, with a blue ring.........

rabid frog

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
ok once again i call upon u ppl for my research proj (u r humble minions
) what is the other toxin aside from TTX? its the one for killing prey
Maybe Saxitoxin

reefkprz

Originally Posted by TX Reef
The octopus is not going to crawl out of the tank and come after you......
true but if your tank isnt set up properly it will visit neighboring fistanks to eat.

I'm not bashing you I agree with having the required expirience levels and proper set up. Its one of the animals that if you have to ask any questions about it your not ready yet.
so what are your feelings on coneshell snails? (just kidding)

hatessushi

I too think that if you are experienced and understand the issues with this creature then keep one if you want. The problem I have is this. When you go into a store to buy this does anyone have you fill out a questionarie to determine if you are qualified or knowledgable enough to keep one? If the fish store just sells it to you do they know that they could be held liable if anything happens to you because of this creature? Yes, the authorites may ask the fish store owner if they knew these were deadly animals and if they informed their customer of this before they purchased one. IMO a person should not be allowed to keep one without a license and to get the license answer a questionaire that asks questions about their nature and how to take care of them. We know this isn't done and the more popular SW fishkeeping and reefkeeping gets (because it is getting easier) the better the chances are that someone will get one and die from it.
Also IMO this is all about money. If they can get money for something they will sell it no matter the consequences. Like Reefboy said "I don't get it". It's simple, it's all about the almighty dollar.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
on youtube they have vids of people handling these things!!!!!!!!! they must be crazy!!!!!
post a link, i wanna see this....

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by rabid frog
Maybe Saxitoxin
i found it, its mainly maculotoxin which is harmless to humans, so there goes the theory that u r more at risk if ur blue ring bites u thinking ur food than on defense

nick76

Originally Posted by shark bait
someone wanted a link. the first one will make you go nuts. I read that they died after this. it is short but the lesson is don't play with stuff from the ocean if you don't know what it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLPXpluXnFE
this one is cool it will make you fall asleep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9trGnkHzxqo
Poor Kids..., well I would say yea if your experienced and u want to keep one go ahead, know the risks and take caution...and start developing an anti-toxin... lol

sharkboy13

tsk tsk tsk, i know how they fell "cool! we found a pretty octopus! lets hold it..." i felt the same way when i had my first green anole, needless to say i had a near permanent attatchment to my finger that was shaped like a lizard....

johnbob

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
i found it, its mainly maculotoxin which is harmless to humans, so there goes the theory that u r more at risk if ur blue ring bites u thinking ur food than on defense

I found this on a ceph forum post:
BR toxin is deadly and related to tetrodotoxin (like a puffer fish). The saliva contains maculotoxin (the tetrodotoxin look alike!), 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine.
The maculotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and sometimes respiratory arrest leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus.
There is no anti venom and treatment requires that the patient be placed on a respirator until the venom is flushed from the body. Tetrodotoxin poisoning can result in the victim being fully aware of his/her surrounds but unable to breathe. So you need to carry out CPR even if the victim is not responding..........they could still be alive!
The blue-ringed octopus is currently the most toxic known sea creature, it carries enough poison to kill 26 adult humans within minutes.
According to this, maculotoxin is very harmful to humans.

nigerbang

Seems like everytime one of these threads die another comes up doesnt it??
With that being said..
If you understand the danger, requirements, blah blah blah..I really see know problem with owning one..(except the short life span as mentioned before)
I just wish there was a way to weed out potential buyers based on knowledge like as mentioned a application system or something of the sort to thin out the morons who want one just because its a blue ring or just because its an octo that they know nothing about except "its pretty"

fallnhorse

In that youtube video. They are both died shortly after.
Beyond that. Being a business owner. I can't imagine any insurance covering you selling something so deadly. You could have them sign a waiver. However that always get thrown out. It's very irresponsible for pet store to sell them. The law suit risk is just astronomical. No wonder insurance rate are so high.
Only post i'll ever do on a blue ring octopus thread.

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by fallnhorse
In that youtube video. They are both died shortly after.
Beyond that. Being a business owner. I can't imagine any insurance covering you selling something so deadly. You could have them sign a waiver. However that always get thrown out. It's very irresponsible for pet store to sell them. The law suit risk is just astronomical. No wonder insurance rate are so high.
Only post i'll ever do on a blue ring octopus thread.

The Product Liability portion of the Insurance policy will only take coverage for a defect or error in the product. Since the product being sold is known to be deadly the liability is removed from the storeowner to the customer since it is a pre existing condition. In a lawsuit no insurance company will hold the storeowner responsible as the Peril for the loss was the item sold in its current state.
The general liability portion also will not cover the suit, as the item sold is a product sold in his store. The GL might however pick up if the storeowner lacks a store policy sign in plain view that has his return and signage that states we are not responsible for items after purchase.
FYI so don’t by one and get hurt and sue the store. You will only be able to file a civil suit, unless willful neglect can be shown in a criminal case.
With that being said it might be a good idea to buy someting that cant kill you.