Blue ring octopus at LFS

holy crap, I went into a LFS in NY, and they have a blue ringed octopus for sale. they keep him in a reef in one of those speciment containers with rocks on the lid. They are selling him for 1 grand, didnt even know they could sell them.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2680478
Not something I'd buy. I have strict rules about buying things that can kill you.
I like Bob Fenner's words: "If you're bitten by one, you'll probably die". I'll bet the lfs insurance carrier would go postal if they knew this.

aquaknight

Yep, perfectly legal to buy/sell. Though, it's really just a matter of time before someone is killed by one and the lawsuits coming in.

myerst22

Wholesalers sell them for around $50.00. They have at most a 1 year life expectency and if it bites you will probably die. i'll pass for a 1,000. Tim

peterpaul

not one of the species of octopus you want to get. They are deadly. If it bites you there is no anti venom. All the can do is put you on a ventilator and hope you live.

morval

tell them u want it and see if they play rock, paper, scissors, to see who has to catch it...or maybe its whoever is on the bosses s%!t list.

Yeah the lfs does know they are that deadly. One of the dudes working there said they probably won't even sell it. They also have lots of rare and poisonous fish, like those rhinopias?

swfishy

Administrator
Staff member
I had a pair of them 6 years ago. They laid eggs in my tank and I had a ton of free swimming babies and no clue how to feed them. It was really cool but a pain to clean the tank. I had to have a spotter for cleaning times. I definitely would NOT recommend them to anyone.

R

rcreations

lol, tell them you want to buy it, make them go through all the trouble to catch it, then say you changed your mind.

Originally Posted by SWFishy
http:///forum/post/2681598
I had a pair of them 6 years ago. They laid eggs in my tank and I had a ton of free swimming babies and no clue how to feed them. It was really cool but a pain to clean the tank. I had to have a spotter for cleaning times. I definitely would NOT recommend them to anyone.
awesome, if I had a pair and they had babies I wouldn't sleep until I figured out how to feed them, could make a ton of cash

billy73

I have a buddy that worked at a shop in high school and they bought them for 15- 20 bucks a piece. The shop owner would by them to whip up a frenzy and bring people in. They kept them in 10 gallon tanks with 20lbs of gravel on the tops with a sponge filter! They never had a problem but he could not get the life insurane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myerst22

Besides that blue ring they have a really small mimic octopus which is a really rare octo. Though they do not exhibit the mimicry that they do in the wild. Regards, Tim