Blue star fish

cubs

I was wondering how you can tell if a star fish is dead or not do good....
Order it threw the mail..Just got it today!! The mark in the middle of him is on the glass..
saltlevel 1.024
temp 78-79
Am: 0
ph 8.3
nitrate and nitrite is 0
Calcuim is at 400

ophiura

How long did you acclimate it?
IMO, your specific gravity is on the low side for these guys.
These are quite difficult animals to keep in anything but large (100g +) mature reef tanks over 6 months old. Water conditions must be pristine, and the require huge amounts of LR to graze on. They will commonly stay in one area for long periods. At this time, there is not a clear indication that it is dead. Watch for white spots, mucuous, melting, deterioration of the arm tips, "deflating" within the first month after introduction...all bad signs. At this time, I would just leve it alone. It looks OK.

cubs

thanks... my tank is only 55 gals...but its been up for two years with out a fish or anything else having a problems.
y tang. coral beut angel, 3 clown..2 percs and one y strip maron....purple fire goby...2 shrimps..green carpet...bubble tip anemones..two sea urchints.. couple corals
100 pounds live sand
60 pounds live rock
I will keep an eye on him

ophiura

At least you have the tank maturity on your side. We'll keep our fingers crossed. Also try now and then to put food near it - some variety, and see if it eats it. Always worth a try.

marineman

i have a blue and orange linckia in my 135g for about 5 months. most die from poor shipping techniques and short acclimation methods! you should only do 5-6hr drip acclimations due to their extreme osmotic sensitivities! the more live rock the better and water quality and parameters must remain stable. when they die a whitish necrosis will occur. they also are primarily nocturnal and do not move much during the day! :yes:

ophiura

Good advice.
Most will die either in the first month (of acclimation shock...and don't breathe too easily, I've had some die at like the 30th day). After that, there is another large peak of mortality at around 8-12 months, which is basically starvation deaths. It is theorized that a healthy wild caught animal will take about this amount of time to slowly starve :(

cubs

yea...It died about 3 hours later...All this black stuff came out of his mouth and starded to break up on the bottom...
We see about the shipping they are sending me another...
I'll try the dip method for 5-8 hours
thanks