Blue Tangs

weatherman

Can anyone tell me why its a pain in the ass trying to keep a blue tang alive? I have a beautiful coral reef tank, but for some reason I can not keep a blue tang alive for more than a few days. I swear I'll buy everyone in this country until 1 survives. I love the fish, and the tank is in perfect condition. I have some expensive corals and their doing great! Are blue tangs tough to keep alive?

weatherman

Its ONLY this fish that won't live. I have a few others (rare and expensive) in the coral reef tank that have done great and were acclimated perfectly (according to saltwaterfish.com instructions), ALL the corals are doing fantastic, so I can't believe its the water. I see you only have 2 years experience in salt water...have you had problems like this?

jordan 150

blue tangs can be some problems when they are small how big are the ones that you are getting? Try to get a bigger sized one and make sure its eating tell the fish store to put some seaweed so you can see them eat. The bigger the hardier usually

weatherman

Sorry, jwtrojan44, I guess you may have taken my question the wrong way, and you have now lost my enthusiasm on this web-site. I know you probably didn't mean to, but your comments (2) have come across to me as a "smart-ass" expert in the field of fish. Anyway, I'm gone and will go elsewhere to another web-site for help...more friendly I would think. I wish you the best in "your over 2 years experience" in aquatics.

tnr

I had the same problem at first.Make sure to quaritne for at least three weeks.There possibly dying from ick.
That helped me out tons.
Good luck and don't give up there a great fish to have.

weatherman

jwtrojan44.
Your right, being on the defensive is NOT the right way to go, but your FIRST response in a NEGATIVE way is not the way to make friends on a web-site. I work in a very successive news department, so I can easily handle responses...but NOT like these as a FIRST time member.
Maybe, just being from Texas, where people are freindlier and more layed back is what I'm use to. I'll head to the Dallas Fish store to get my answers. They have a LARGE store here and I'm sure the people will be EASY TO DEAL WITH.
I, too, belong to other web-sites where asking a question is much easier to do than "getting you head chopped off" right off the bat.
Good luck in your hobby.
Ron

ed r

Weatherman, sorry you took offense to the first response. However, I tend to agree with the info it contains. Healthy fish do not repeatedly die in a tank that has perfect conditions. That means either the fish was not healthy, acclimation was not adequate, or the conditions were not perfect. I do not wish to imply that your tank is not in great shape, but I have never had a tank with perfect conditions. I think that probably everyone (even the "tanks of the month" owners} probably feels that they have one or two parameters that are never quite where they would like them, even if there seem to be no problems with any livestock. Zero reading for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate do not insure that phosphates, calcium, magnesium, or many others are not perfect. More information can help a lot. What chemical tests were done, what were the results, what brand of test kits were used? While all of your other delicate creatures are thriving, what species are they, and how long have you had them? Has anything at all struggled for a period, even if it recovered? Which of the blue tang species have you bought? Powder Blues have a reputation for doing poorly, but some people are successful. Many people do well with the Regal/Hippo Tangs. Did you quarantine the fish, and for how long? Did it die in the quarantine tank? Did it ever start eating? I think there are a lot of people that would like you to help you so that you do not continue to lose these fish. It might be better to spend more time on trying to identify the cause than just buying another fish right after one has dies. I wish you and the fish luck.

weatherman

Ed R.
The fish I have is a Hippo/Regal Tang. I have a Flame Angel in the tank with a Yellow Tang. Both of them do GREAT and I've NEVER seen them 'pick' on the Hippo Tang. I had a Professional Service taking care of the tank, and they too, can't figure out what the problem is. Nitrate and Nitrite is O...I have a Sterilizer, Skimmer, Chiller, and everything else hooked up. Corals do great...Hippo Tangs do NOT. They were acclimated EXACTLY the way Saltwaterfish.com advertises..and again, a day later they die. They seem healthy, but by the next morning I continuesly see them 'sucked' up by the side of the filters. This is really getting old.