Blue Throat Or Sargassum?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/2926804
Which is more reef safe?

I think they're both about the same with corals; usually ok. but my favorite online source says crosshatches are not reef safe; this is defiantly an "individual fish" issue.IMO & IME; both will eat many inverts, though. A sargassum (red tail) trigger is another to consider.

kevin34

Ya I am debating between a male blue throat and a sargassum. crosshatches are too expensive. tank is a 125. trigger will be with a lieutenant tang and possibly a purple tang too.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/2926845
Ya I am debating between a male blue throat and a sargassum. crosshatches are too expensive. tank is a 125. trigger will be with a lieutenant tang and possibly a purple tang too.
Yeah, I mis-read the original post, too many kids around; I don't know why I was think of crosshatches.

daphne

I have a blue throat in my 75g and he his great, a lot of personality!
He doesn't bother any of my fish and so far did not even touch my shrimps, hermits and snails. He is fun to watch when eating, he is messy and rush towards food like he was starving for days (I feed him twice a day)...

kjr_trig

I would tend to say either, if forced to pick I would say Sargassum is a safer bet as they don't even really live on the reef in the wild. Mine hangs out exclusively at the top of the tank, I don't ever remember even seeing him in the bottom half.

R

rcreations

I have a Sargassum. Awesome fish!!!! He's got great personality, very outgoing, eats out of my hand and usually hangs out at the top half of the tank. Mine has never bothered any inverts and I imagine they're very reef safe as well.

jdl

if you have the extra $, buy the sargassum. Never touched any invert in the tank and never bothered any corals. One of the most beautiful fish too.

aquaknight

It's really up to you on either a Blue Jaw or Sargassum. IMHO it's really just a color variation based on a couple thousand (maybe just hundreds
) years of evolutoin in different locations (Pacific vs. Atlantic).
That said, Sargassums' are usually only available in one size, about 3" to 4 1/2", where Blue Jaw's run the gambit from 2" to 7", at least one's I've seen recently. Though about a 3 1/2" specimen is about the absolute best size, hardy enough for aquarium life, but not too large to have troubles adapting. I've had both, currently have a Sargassum, and they had very similar presonailites, a bit care-free, after the initial 'adjustment' period. Either one should be completely reef safe.