Blue Throat Trigger...Blind?

Jen831

I don't know if I should post this in here since I'm not sure if it is really a disease, but my recently purchased Blue Jaw/Throat Trigger fish is acting weird. They are said to be very shy when first added to the tank, however the one I have doesn't seem phased when anyone approaches the tank, or is extremely close. He spends most of his time just cruising the top of the tank and hanging out near my one power head. When I put food in the tank he seems to be able to see it when it floats right by him, but doesn't bother to chase it. The only way I can get him to eat is by hand, and I have to practically slap him in the face with the krill before he takes a few nibbles. He actually bit my finger this morning by accident. He has also accidentally nipped at the other fish when I add food to the tank, like he knows the food is there, but can't locate it. His eyes don't seem to have any damage to them, and are not cloudy white like I would assume a blind fish would have. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? And if so is there anything that can help? Thanks so much.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Does he look healthy otherwise? You may prefer to use something like a turkey baster to feed him, rather than hand feeding. Not a bad way to introduce food to all your fish as a matter of fact. You can also use a syringe bird feeder.

2quills

Just from a hobbyists perspective it could be a symptom of possible disease or infection would be my best guess and continue to monitor.

Heard lots of anecdotal evidence that some medications could also cause blindness in fish. I think penicillin has been known to cause it in clown fish but who knows.

Jen831

He looks fine otherwise. No white spots or any marks on him. I use a syringe to feed the other fish. The only reason I thought to feed him by hand is because I thought holding the food there would give him more of a chance to eat it, since he doesn't seem to want to get into the fray and chase after it. I'v been trying to feed him mysis and krill, but maybe I'll try getting him something different like squid and see if he's more enthusiastic about that. Thanks for the reply's I'll just keep a close eye on him for now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, keep offering quality variety. Best not to hand feed as you risk passing along contaminants. You can use the syringe to tangle food, just gently work the pump so that all the food doesn't squirt out.