Blue Throat Trigger?

mr.p

:help: I finally bought one of these last week, I've probably wanted one for at least 6 months but was afraid they might eat the smaller fish in my tank. The one I bought she was really timid and shy so I figured i'd give it a shot, she is a very sweet fish and doesn't bother anyone in my tank, is that something I don't have to worry about anymore? or is it still possible she can turn aggressive? I was wondering what types of food should I add to her diet? So far i've given her a few flakes, mysis shrimp, marine cuisine and tonight a few pellets, she eats all of these. I also have some formula two meat blocks I haven't given her yet, I've read that triggers grow teeth and should be offered something to help wear them down.
Any suggestions on what to give her? also how fast do their teeth usually grow? I tried giving her a small piece of krill last night but she was too shy to come and get it. Also are there any other types of triggerfish I might be able to add into my tank? I'm thinking probably not besides maybe a Niger?
I want to add one more fish to my tank or possibly 2 or 3 small ones and i'm taking any suggestions, something easy but nice. I apologize for all my questions in one thread and I appreciate if anyone can answer even just one of them. I was thinking about adding a new fish in about a week and a half or so, So I can see if my trigger acts up at all and stuff like that.
Right now I have a 65 gallon tank it's Live Rock Only. Maybe i'm overstocked right now, who knows?? :help:
2 percula clowns (3in)
1 tomato clown (2in) :happyfish
1 royal gramma ( 2 in)
1 firefish goby ( prob 1 in)
1 coral beauty ( 3.5 in)
1 blue throat trigger (4.5 or 5 in)
1 banded coral shrimp.

aw2x3

I wouldnt say you're "overstocked" but you're definately gonna have to upgrade tanks in a hurry. I've kept just about every Trigger you can keep and Blue Throats, IME, have always been the most docile. But, they're very active and need a large tank...not to mention that they'll max out at over 10" long.

mr.p

Thanks I appreciate the help, Yeah I was thinking that she's going to get even bigger and eventually I will probably have to donate her to my lfs. Which will suck because I am already starting to get attatched to her, she's awesome. How fast will she grow you think? I don't overfeed her I do feed her everyday but it's not alot, but she eats everything she can find. Also do you think I'm maxed out on fish right now? I was thinking about getting a few cardinals possibly, I can' think of the name of them right now but they look cool schooling.

v-lioness

IMO - I would not add any more fish and give them the space they require, to establish territories plus grow...........
I would draw away from adding another trigger species, Blue Throats are pretty docile. Nigers considered Medium Aggressive not docile.....
Once she gets comfortable in your tank she will come out, they are shy triggers. One of my Bluethroats I had to feed and leave the tank area just so it could come out to eat. It is very shy and took about 2 months before it would stay out through feeding.
You can feed her a variety of Meaty foods and Greens (1/2 the diet should consist of greens) along with the dry foods you are feeding already. Chopped Raw Shrimp, Octo, Scallops, Crab and so..... Greens should consist of Nori, Fresh Frozen Peas Thawed, Fresh Frozen Broccoli Thawed and/or Macro Algae.
Kaye

stanlalee

blue throats may be docile but you are asking alot from even the more docile triggers housing a 4-5" one with a fire goby and royal gramma.
As for tank size depending on who you ask nearly all species when full adult size will grow to big for all but the biggest tanks (180g and up). I would say the only reason your tank is overstocked is because you added the blue throat.

glibgoat

In my experiences, your shrimp is the first to go. Shrimp are defenseless against a trigger. Triggers like food. Shrimp to an aggressive (albeit docile) is a snack. I have kept just about every type of trigger, and the blue throat are quite peaceful, but they are still triggers.
I have never kept a goby with a trigger, however stories from friends indicate that he would be picked off as well.
Then the gramma and clowns could go
The others stand a shot of surviving more than 6 months.
My advice, take the trigger back to the store. Even docile triggers are fish that like to munch on flesh.