Blue Throat Trigger's Blue Jaw fading?

alvin

Hello SWF,
So I've had a Blue Jaw trigger for almost a year already. When I first purchased it from the LFS, the Blue Jaw was actually pretty blue. After a few months, I saw it starting to fade. It doesn't seem as blue as it was before. I feed frozen Mysis, Formula 1 and 2 Pellets, Freeze Dried Krill, Nori, Ora-Glo Pellets.
I'm kind of curious if it is due to the lights, I have normal Fluorescent lights on it. Still saving up for a T-5 retro.
Anyways, the fish is eating perfectly and looks good, except for the blue jaw not as blue anymore. The yellow seems to have some black parts to it as well. Hmm...
Any ideas?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3131223
Hello SWF,
So I've had a Blue Jaw trigger for almost a year already. When I first purchased it from the LFS, the Blue Jaw was actually pretty blue. After a few months, I saw it starting to fade. It doesn't seem as blue as it was before. I feed frozen Mysis, Formula 1 and 2 Pellets, Freeze Dried Krill, Nori, Ora-Glo Pellets.
I'm kind of curious if it is due to the lights, I have normal Fluorescent lights on it. Still saving up for a T-5 retro.
Anyways, the fish is eating perfectly and looks good, except for the blue jaw not as blue anymore. The yellow seems to have some black parts to it as well. Hmm...
Any ideas?
How does his body weight look? How big is it? Is he more slender at the top, like the pic Spanko posted (has that kink in his side)? Any chance we could get a pic, even a crappy cell pic if that's the case, of your fish?
Based on the food you listed, he definitely could use some more "meaty" foods with substance. Frozen scallops, fresh shrimp (not cooked), clams, silversides, etc. DEFINITELY
stop feeding the freeze dried krill.
Originally Posted by spanko

http:///forum/post/3131230
This is a picture of a female. From reef hot spot.

That is a pic of young male. A female Blue Jaw will not have any yellow coloration in the fins, but a dark red/brown color. When they are under 4", it's almost impossible to tell. Here is true adult female Blue Jaw;

R

rcreations

Triggers need meety foods in their diet like what Aqua mentioned. Freeze dried anything is bad, don't feed it anymore. From the foods you listed, I'd say the fading colors are due to the diet.

stoss

I had the same issue with my blue jaw trigger. Dont quote me, but Triggers can change their ---. I had a niger trigger with my blue jaw. Both were males at the time. The niger trigger was the dominant one and my blue jaw started changing colors. He lost the blue on his jaw.
I feed them meaty foods, so I do not think its the diet.