Blue Throat Triggers- shy?

freeride7

Recently I picked up a male and a female blue throat trigger. I have had them for about 2 weeks in my 180 now....are they a very shy fish? I can barely sneak up on the tank without them bolting and hiding in the rockwork. The male doesn't come out barely at all.
I'm a little worried about them not eating, I have yet to see them eat. They usually hide when the food comes out.
Any comments would be appreciated.

aquaknight

Yep. Most triggers are usually shy at introduction, and Blue Jaw's are among the most laid back (a good thing), so they take a bit longer then normal. They are most likely scavenging when the coast is clear, since it sounds like your feeding other fish in the tank too? As long as the fish are nice and healthy going into the tank, I'd say even a month should be fine.

freeride7

Yes, other fish in the tank as well and yes they are healthy looking...tks for the input. I guess time will tell.

kjr_trig

2nd everything Aqua said, and agree they will likely be fine....Obviously it's not always possible, but Bluethroats and Sargassum do much better being introduced to a tank early in the stocking list. The fewer fish, the quicker they adjust.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2924406
2nd everything Aqua said, and agree they will likely be fine....Obviously it's not always possible, but Bluethroats and Sargassum do much better being introduced to a tank early in the stocking list. The fewer fish, the quicker they adjust.
I'm really surprised that kjr_trig would say something like "Obviously it's not always possible"; given the fact his Cardinals are in the Super Bowl; ANYTHING IS possible! (I really want to bet on them, but need more than 7 points.) But I agree on his observation regarding introducing them early. Give them time; they'll turn into real triggers in time. Some fish like these can be "trained" a little. Take a whole, live clam from the supermarket and pry it open, drop it in the most visible part of the tank and they should pounce on it. Do this with other favorite foods (bits of raw, fresh shrimp or squid; and they'll soon associate you with food. Like my Ex- mother-in Law did.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2925252
Yikes, that sounds like one of those 'don't touch with a 10-foot pole' subjects.
I'd need a much longer pole; Bless her heart! (One thing I've learned after living in the South for almost 15 years; you can say anything about anyone as long as you add "Bless his/her heart!")

freeride7

Well the male blue throat didnt make it. It never did recover from the LFS.
The female is doing fine.
I would luv to try another male due to the color, will this be a mistake introducing a male at a later date with a female already established in the tank??
Thanks

jpa0741

Originally Posted by freeride7
http:///forum/post/2929709
Well the male blue throat didnt make it. It never did recover from the LFS.
The female is doing fine.
I would luv to try another male due to the color, will this be a mistake introducing a male at a later date with a female already established in the tank??
Thanks
Nope shouldn't be a problem. Most triggers don't "pair up" anyway.

freeride7

Yah, wasnt too woried about them pairing up. Just don't want them to rip each other apart...local LFS told me to introduce a mail/female at the same time...not that I SWEAR by what a LFS tell's me .

crypt keeper

I have heard and read you can do multiple females to 1 male. I plan on a Male Blue to match up with my dull looking female. The males are gorgeous. Wont be till I upgrade tanks.

freeride7

Really? Interesting. I agree with you, the male is much more colorfull . The male in my case was also alot more shy...never came out of the rocks till it died...