Blue Tree Gorgonian

rykna

I just added a Blue Tree Gorgonian to my tank. I have been very successful with keeping healthy gorgs, however, I would like some more info regarding the care of the Blue Tree. I've searched the net and have found very little; just the basic care. Need input,
This is a pic of the kind of Blue Tree I purchased:

Thankyou,
Rykna

doc308

I seem to have a penchant for selecting "difficult to keep" corals. I'm probably one of the worst of this board for impulse buying, but in my defense, all the difficult things seem to be thriving and growing in my reef tank.
As to your question, I'm certainly not the most qualified to answer your question, but I'll try and help what I can. My blueberry gorgonian is doing well and growing size and new blueberries every week it seems. Here's what I'm doing:
My gorgonian was only about an inch when I bought it. I superglued it to a small to medium size rock going by the suggestions from the other board members. Then I epoxied the small rock to a larger reef rock in a high flow area in my tank. Mine is literally sits about an inch in front of the return from the filter. Then I target feed the little blueberries daily with a mix of DT's oyster eggs and zooplankton. i make sure and feed it when the filters are all off so that the suspension of food can hover and drift around it. I pretty much drench mine. Then I wait about 15 minutes after the last item I've fed in my tank before I turn filters back on. I feed mostly in the evening in the last couple of hours before the lights go off. In the morning when I check everything, I take a pipette and blow off the gorgon to make sure no food or detritus has collected on it. That's about it. It's thriving well.
I do a couple of things to keep my water quality good and I'm sure that makes a good difference as well. Hope that helps.

rykna

Wonderful! That's the same care I'm giving my gorgs
Thank you for the input. Can you post some pics of you gorgs? I'd love to see them.
~Rykna

florida joe

I have just started attempting to keep a Diodogorgia nodulifera (orange branch type). I have done some homework on Gorgonians. Do you the Pacific Sulawesi type

rykna

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2963930
I have just started attempting to keep a Diodogorgia nodulifera (orange branch type). I have done some homework on Gorgonians. Do you the Pacific Sulawesi type
I am not sure. The pic I posted is the closest to the gorg I have. I will post pics of mine latter today.

dive girl

Beautiful.
I've wondered about keeping a gorgonian in a DSH tank. Since I'm feeding BBS or enriched BS, I always thought that it would probably do well.
Rynka, do you keep your gorgonians in your DSH tank?

rykna

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/2964329
Beautiful.
I've wondered about keeping a gorgonian in a DSH tank. Since I'm feeding BBS or enriched BS, I always thought that it would probably do well.
Rykna, do you keep your gorgonians in your DSH tank?
Thant's the plan
My 38g is the first completely all live tank that I have set up for my ponies. The tank has been maturing since last September.
So far these corals I have in the tank include:
Main parent purple sea whip with several frags
Main parent blue tree gorg and several frags
Many colors of star bursts
Several colors of Button colors
One cup coral
One Kenya tree
Several Ricordea Mushrooms
I've also set up a 45g for growing frags and pods. Currently the 45g has a Koran Angel that I caring for; treating it for hole-in-the-head. The plan was to return it to my LFS for store credit, however, the little guy is worming his way into my heart.

I will be ordering the ponies March 2nd. I just hope the weather here in Minnesota behaves itself!!!
Rykna

dive girl

Nice! Have you taken photos yet? hint, hint...
In my little tank I've got mainly live macros, but still a few fake hitches left. I haven't added any softies yet. I've been thinking about adding a chili coral to the tank. I have one in my reef tank and would like to move it along with a colt coral I have.
Whoa! A 38! How many pony's are you going to put in it? How fun! A treasure hunt in finding them all. I love hunting mine as I do the head and health count.

rykna

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/2964682
Nice! Have you taken photos yet? hint, hint...
In my little tank I've got mainly live macros, but still a few fake hitches left. I haven't added any softies yet. I've been thinking about adding a chili coral to the tank. I have one in my reef tank and would like to move it along with a colt coral I have.
Whoa! A 38! How many pony's are you going to put in it? How fun! A treasure hunt in finding them all. I love hunting mine as I do the head and health count.
the pics are on their way...just have find a few minutes of uninterrupted time...which are few and far between for a stay at home mom.
I'm planning on starting with 6 pairs. I have a lay out plan that I hope will help the tank flow and keep pony hunting to a minimal. I'm planning to use PVC to create a reef over hang. By using plastic tie offs, I can cover the PCV with LR and coral. On the bottom of the tank I'm going to make a "island" of gorgs centered in the middle to use as hitching posts. I have some fake plants to suction to the sides of the tank for more hitching posts.
I should write a book called "Treasure Hunting", which would have dozens of memories and antics about our clever little fish. Most of my family asks me "How can you tell the difference, they all look the same to me!" It's so easy for "us fish folk"...that one has a yellow bottom fin, that's Sunny..and this one has 3 cirri on it's back, that's Coral...and then you go into their personalities~this is where you really loose them!!!!! For example:One batch of babies in my tank had identical twins. They were never apart. Another favorite baby of mine was "Freckles", she was so curious and had to investigate everything. She would spend several minutes swimming in front of me, examining me. You quickly learn the favorite hang outs and hidings spots. A favorite memory of mine was when ,Titan, my oldest dwarf seahorse male, Titan, gave me a very clear message:
Getting on in seahorse years, Titan preferred to sleep on the sand bed, instead of hitching. The first time I saw him doing this I was very worried. It was still very early and the tank lights were still off. I knelt down and lightly tapped the tank glass right next to Titan. He gave a small twitch, and his head came up for a few seconds and then rested back down on his chest. Even more worried I tapped harder on the glass. This time Titan was startled awake. He turned and faced me eye to eye. He gave a defiant snap of his fins at me and then swam off to a more private area to sleep.
The message: "Good grief Woman!!!! Can't and old man get any sleep around here?!?!"
Anyhow-this is why we fish folk love "Treasure Hunting"!