blueface angel

O

osufarker

I have a blueface that I have had for about two weeks now. He is a 3.5" juvenile who is just starting his transformation. He is doing great; he will eat anything I put in the tank including flake and pellet food. He is quite shy, but seems to be getting better.
I wonder what others experiences are with these fish. Also if anyone has any pictures of their blueface that would be great. I have heard that they are more difficult to keep than most angels any ideas on this? Also, how long does it take for their transformation to complete?

cincyreefer

Transformation varies, but generally take about a year for me. I did find that it seemed to transform a little quicker as I started feeding more live sponge.... May have just been coincidence though.
I have never found them to be more difficult than other angels... They are just extremely shy, particualrly when you first get them. An absolutely beautiful fish though.

adamz

mine was real shy when i first put him in the tank but he got alot better. i dont have a picture becuase i am at school but ill post one when i get home i have had mine for a couple of months and hes has changed so much from his juvinile coloration but still not a full adult

O

osufarker

these are the best pics i could snag. still very shy. he always darts into hiding when i approach with the camera.
If anyone else has anything to add about blueface angels that would be great. I am very excited about this fish may surpass my queen as my favorite.

bona42na

Cincyreefer how do you feed live sponge ?Where and how do you get it ? I would like to try this for my majestic. Thanks

cincyreefer

I would go ask your lfs you bought the majestic from, and ask them if they can sell you some live sponge at their cost + shipping. You are not worried about the health (because its just food) when it comes in and they won't have to acclimate it or anything so there really isn't a reason they shouldn't do it. I normally get a decent sized tree sponge for around $20 and it lasted for over 4 months (since they were small juveniles).

blueface

As you can tell by my user name They are my favorite angel!! I had one for about 8 years. Started as a juvi changed to an adult & then reverted back 1/2 way to a juvi then an adult again. I have old pics somewhere to prove this. Lost all of my fish in the great blackout of 03. He was the boss of the tank. Whenever anybody pee'd him off you could here him thump!! Would love to get another someday but realize now my tank was way to small for a large angel. At the time of the blackout believe or not I had 1-blueface, 1-asfur, 1-purple tang, 1- blue tang, 1-harliquin tusk, 1- flame hawk, 1-african pygmy angel, 1- orchid dotty, & a pair of false percs. Do you think that was an overcrowded 55 gallon or what??? They all grew up together & started out as babies. I almost forgot I also had a clown trigger w/ them but the blueface killed him about a year before the blackout.

O

osufarker

blueface,
And I thought I had a lot of fishload. I am surprised you were able to keep your water steady with that load in a 55. Sorry you lost your fish in the blackout. I keep telling myself I need to get a generator. I would be devastated if I lost my fish because of a power outage. I might end up in jail for fire bombing the electric company.

Eight years is a long time, you must have been doing something right. Hopefully mine will live that long and then some.
How did the blueface and the asfur get along? Were they equal in size or different? Once I get my 240 up and running I may try to the blueface and the queen together (breaking the rules). The queen is over twice his size so it may work and they are of different genus. If not the blueface will go to the 125.

blueface

The asfur was way smaller than the blueface maybe 1/4 of his size. he liked to boss him around especially when the sheets of algae were in the tank. Believe it or not those fish were all in a tank w/ an undergravel filter & dolomite substrate. His buddy was the blue tang. The shared the same cave. They grew uo together as babies. the blue tang was the size of a quarter when I got him & at the time of his demise he was around 8 inches. I kept the blueface in my freezer for about 10 months until my wife made me throw it out. Just think if I only had a battery powered air pump!!!

O

osufarker

My dad has a full size gray angel in his freezer right now. It became ill and passed away so my dad stuck it in the freezer. My dad does taxidermy in his spare time; he says he is eventually going to mount it. Seems strange to me, but he has always been the outdoor hunter type and I am not. I suppose people do stranger things, like have their cats or dogs stuffed.