BlueFin Fuzzy LionFish

autojunkie

I just have picked one up from the LFS... question is he has been in there for about a day, and all he does is mope around the bottom of the tank, is this normal behavior? If somone would like pics of his "bluefins" let me know and I ll post them tomarow or tonight. thanks for your help

lion_crazz

Yes, please post some pics, immediatley! lol, I am just anxious to see some pics.
Anyways, he will become a lot more friendly as he gets to know you. My fuzzy was the same way, and now, she is the friendliest fish I have.

v-lioness

If this is a true Blue finned Lion (Parapterios heterura), similar to a fuzzy but not a fuzzy dwarf. Very , Very tough to keep alive, they are from cooler waters......... They must be kept in tanks with a chiller, and even than they have already been placed holding tanks that were just to warm.
I think this is the most difficult lion to keep alive.
Very interested in your picture.
Kaye

S

surfinusa

sound cool but i never even knew they exsisted :thinking: :notsure:

aw2

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
If this is a true Blue finned Lion (Parapterios heterura), similar to a fuzzy but not a fuzzy dwarf. Very , Very tough to keep alive, they are from cooler waters......... They must be kept in tanks with a chiller, and even than they have already been placed holding tanks that were just to warm.
I think this is the most difficult lion to keep alive.
Very interested in your picture.
Kaye

Good info, Kaye...you beat me to it.
A friend of mine went through 5 true Blue Fins before finally calling it quits...this was all within a few months time.
They never looked good, when they came in and he only had them for a few days, to a week, before they died, one after the other.

unleashed

Another wonderful dwarf lionfish Dendriochrius barberi. This uncommon dwarf fuzzy lionfish makes a great little display animal. Readily identified by its glowing red eyes (unlike most Dendrochirus brachypterus that possess blue eyes), this species requires the exact same husbandry as its common Dwarf fuzzy brother.this information obtained at
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ndex.php.photo at bottom of the page.if this is the fish it will have big red eyes not blue like others but blue fins very cool looking lion

v-lioness

y would it die... it eats alot!
If it is Parapterios Heterura and needs cooler water, they have a poor survival rate, no matter how much it eats it will perish. This lion must be kept in conditions that are suitable for the species.
If it is Dendriochrius Barberi and it is eating that would be great, these are two completely different lion species.
Can you get a picture to properly ID your lion?
Or
Search both names to find out which lion you have.
Kaye

unleashed

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
If it is Parapterios Heterura and needs cooler water, they have a poor survival rate, no matter how much it eats it will perish. This lion must be kept in conditions that are suitable for the species.
If it is Dendriochrius Barberi and it is eating that would be great, these are two completely different lion species.
Can you get a picture to properly ID your lion?
Or
Search both names to find out which lion you have.
Kaye
look that one up I did i found one match only and it was a diving expodition i couldnt find the photo of it on the info sheet on the link above this is the cold water species
Japanese lionfish Dendriochirus bellus. This cold-water lionfish is very similar to the dwarf fuzzy lionfish, and occasionally makes its way into the U.S. aquarium trade
Shown here is another Japanese lionfish called Paraterois heterura. This unique lionfish has caudal rays which extend into long finnage. if you notice only one fish has blue fins on this link

v-lioness

Unleashed dont they have PM's in here ? .....lol
They do have blue even though it does not show in the photo, I did notice that too. I sent you a link email.
Kaye

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by unleashed
hes very cool looking good luck with him

Yeah, I agree. Keep us posted on how he is doing!