BONUS crab

bought a 5.5lb figi live rock yesterday and put er in the tank and got a huge shock when I saw what looked like a really good sized crab hanging out under it. I was super excited and pumped about this bonus crab, really made my day. Way better than a mantis shrimp :scared: . Anyone else have any cool bonus surprise stories?

jasony

got a 10 lb piece of fiji a while back and when i put it in my tank to my surprise a dead damsel popped out
lol

azaintcold

Originally Posted by JasonY
got a 10 lb piece of fiji a while back and when i put it in my tank to my surprise a dead damsel popped out
lol
Your telling me you scored the illusive deceased damsel hitchhiker. They are the most sought after hitchhiker there is!

renogaw

Originally Posted by tylersalzman
bought a 5.5lb figi live rock yesterday and put er in the tank and got a huge shock when I saw what looked like a really good sized crab hanging out under it. I was super excited and pumped about this bonus crab, really made my day. Way better than a mantis shrimp :scared: . Anyone else have any cool bonus surprise stories?

any pic on the crab? just make sure it's ok to be in your tank

reefkprz

my most incredible hitchikers have been a 2" gigas clam and a mandarin goby. I'm one of the weird people who lug my LR home in a bucket of water. worked out pretty good so far......

puffer32

I got lots of bonuses in the past. A sally lightfoot crab, emerald crab, mushrooms, pipe organ coral, just to name afew. Gotta love those freebies

jasony

Originally Posted by azaintcold
Your telling me you scored the illusive deceased damsel hitchhiker. They are the most sought after hitchhiker there is!

lol
are u serious?
it almost scared me to death when i was placing the rock in my tank!

azaintcold

Originally Posted by JasonY
lol
are u serious?
it almost scared me to death when i was placing the rock in my tank!

I believe it!

mx mr bean

u guys are lucky then bc i had this pair of rock crabs that took the liberty of eating my two cleaner wrass, my flame scallop, and a few other small fish.

rara12

I had an octapus come on a peice of LR a year or so ago. Just a tiny one, like the size of a nickel. Pretty cool but i got rid of it.

ironsnipes

bought 10# of tonga branch w/ 2 crabs not sure what species always hiding but growing bigger and bigger, seems not to be a threat so im cool with it.

Originally Posted by renogaw
any pic on the crab? just make sure it's ok to be in your tank

Looks like a sally lightfoot, so nothing to worry about thankfully.
Unfortunately nothing too expensive, but maybe next time I buy live rock a dragon eel will pop out

autofreak44

well my first day with my tank set up a 4 inch bristle worm popped out. i was like omg its gonna eat me haha. wierd thing is.. the rock was out of water for like 25 minuts (just wrapped in newspaper)

Originally Posted by azaintcold
:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious

twogirls

bought a 5 pound rock and when I got it home I turned it over and there was a purple and yellow ricordia on the buttom of the rock. it was out of water for just over an hour and is growing and doing great.

hammerhed7

bought am 8 lb piece of rock, when i got it home I found the bottom was covered in green star polyps, and there were blue mushrooms on the sides

spkdtch

recently i brought home a sebae anemone attached to a 5lb live rock, after sitting for about 5 minutes, out popped a MIDAS GOBY, unfortunately, my lionfish saw it just as i did and i wasnt fast enough, was cool for about 5 seconds though =

spkdtch

well for me, its always karma kicking in, i get free stuff and within a day, its dead, at a LFS, i was dealing with this guy and wanted 3 crabs, an emerald, sallylitefoot, and a decorator spider. the guy said 10 for the emerald, 12 for the sally, and 15 for the decorator, i said ok, he bagged them and walked away, the other guy came and asked how much the guy said, i told him "10, 12, 15" just like he told me. well at this place, there is no tax on cash and everything is negotiable, they like to round there numbers down and give good deals, well he says ok, just gimme 10(thinking i meant the guy said, 10, 12, OR 15 bucks, so i got 37bucks worth, for 10, the decorator died that night and the emerald was eaten by my urchin within a week so karma always evens out their mistakes for me, just like the midas goby

dutchschoon

i'd hafta say i'm pretty lucky with the extra's! 1 cowrie, 2 rock crabs, 2 red polyps, several mushrooms(which multiple'd like crazy!)- all with about 80 lbs of live rock purchased at different times