Book

cooldude16

I bought a book on the internet called "Saltwaterfish for Dummies" will it help me because I dont know anything about saltwaterfish but i want to get into it.
Mike:confused:

escape2thewater

Read up & check this BB frequently! You will learn so much! Do plenty of research before you start your tank - it will save you lots of money and save lives of your creatures! Also check out " The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner, another great book.
BTW, welcome to the board!
Kyle
:cool:
PS- ask lots of questions, the only dumb questions are the ones you dont ask!

T

thomas712

Standard list of other books you may wish to concider:
Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists - Anthony Rosario Calfo
Reef Fishes Volume 1 - Scott W. Michael
Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series) - Julian Sprung
A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists - Robert M. Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide - Michael S. Paletta
Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History - Eric H. Borneman
Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms - John H. Tullock
Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman,
Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock, Martin A. Moe
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta,
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is a very good book to start with. I have heard that the Salwater for Dummies is kind of lame, haven't checked it out though but since your getting it use it as a start and like was said ask questions right here while your concidering your equipment and livestock and setup questions.
Thomas

nm reef

I've never looked at "Saltwater Fish for Dummies" but I've also heard that it's not that great. The list Thomas provided covers most of the popular choices. Plus these forums can provide tons of useful info....the key is to access as much info as possible and progress slowly. Most things that happen fast in this hobby are problems!:cool:

the claw

Don't know anything about your selection, but the book that I read and enjoyed the most before diving into this hobby was Tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums. Its very well written, so that a newbie can follow but be scientific enough to be accurate. Plus the pictures will make your mouth water.

tlk

Like everyone has said before me...keep checking back here, do lots of reading and ask questions. the only dumb questions are the ones you DON'T ask!

moopiespoo

I have Saltwater for dummies and IMO it was not very helpful. I think the best book for newbies and expierienced aqurists is The concientios marine aqarist. (Fenner). This book has became a "Bible" to me.

D

daniel411

Thanks for that list Thomas! Think I'll go pick a few up on it, that I don't have/haven't heard of, this weekend.

kissiefish

I flipped through the dummy book in the store, and even though I am still a "dummy" when it comes to this stuff, all the stuff that it says can be found on this board. And the board IMO is alot more informative.
~kissiefish~

reef fool

Although very expensive, the 4 volume set " The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" By Fossa & Nilsen is awesome!
I also strongly agree with the suggestion of "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. Great info for someone starting out IMO

stillfrodo

I keep refering back to Fenner's book so many times the pages are literally falling out. Excellent book. The best part about that book is the back where he goes into all the different type of species you can stock your tank with. Goes into in depth on habits feeding behavior disease stocking etc. Also what to avoid. Been invaluable info to me as well as the experts on this board.