Both clowns I bought died!

jsteph24

Ok I am officially confused now. I set my tank up a couple months ago (55 gallon 60lbs of LR and 60lbsLS, bottled RO water). I let the tank cycle(took almost a month) Ever since my water levels have remained consistent.
Ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates-always below 20, ph 8.2, SG 1.024-1.025.
I started with a cleaning crew of about a dozen Blue leg crabs and a dozen snails. A week later I added a cleaner shrimp, 2 emerald crabs. Two weeks later we put in our first fish(3 stripe damsel). Another week later we put in a clownfish(percula-aquacultured). About 2 weeks later we added a Lawnmower Blenny. The next day we returned the Damsel because he was a butthead.
We drip acclimated everything as per SWF.com.
Everybody seemed to be fine. The fish and inverts all ate fine and swam around happy. Then maybe a week goes by and the clown all the sudden is acting weird. He wasn't as active, not swimming the same but still eating. Then the next day he started breathing with his mouth open all the time. Then he stopped eating and died. The whole time we had been checking our parameters daily and they always checked out fine.(API master saltwater test kit) Being as he was one of our first fish I just chalked it up to it being a new tank or maybe he was just not healthy to begin with. So we purchased another clown from a different store a week later. He seemed to be fine and all was well. Then all of the sudden yesterday he starts doing the same thing the first one did. He had been in the tank for a week and a half i think. He just died tonight. I am really confused because I thought clowns were supposed to be fairly hardy? I keep thinking maybe my water conditions are bad but the tests keep coming out fine. Plus the LMB is still doing great! Not to mention the cleanup crew is all still alive. Haven't even lost a single snail!
Any ideas? We have a new fish that we put into our new QT and he also didn't survive. (we didn't know what to expect with him though because he seemed like he was in rough shape when we got him home and started acclimating him (I hate ***** :mad: ) The one thing that the two clowns had in common: they were both babies and they were both little. I feel bad because I hate it when they die(my wife hates it more, she actually cried!). I just want to figure out what is going on, I do not want anything else to die. Any ideas?
As a side note... I am getting my new protein skimmer and powerheads in the mail on Monday, maybe that will help.

jsteph24

also, the test kit I have tests the pH, nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia. Should I be testing for anything else?

reefforbrains

that particular store does tend to abuse thier livestock but I dont think that is why they died in your case.
The tiny little clowns have a real crumby mortality rate from those stores. Clowns are knows for being resiliant and hardy when adult, but when they are the tiny cute little guys 1/2 inchers. They are delicate and sensitive to tank problems.
You mentioned they were gasping? Deaths could be from low oxygen, But without knowing more about your sytem I can only guess.

jsteph24

Well right now the tank has a hob filter that is supposed to be 350gph and one powerhead. I have a aqua C Remora Protein skimmer and a MJ 1200 that are going to be delivered tomorrow. The tank has the standard hood with a 50/50 bulb in it. Could the hood over the tank be restricting the oxygen level? It seems like that could be it however everything else in the tank is fine! Plus the clowns weren't bought at *****, they were bought at 2 different stores(they were little guys though). Maybe we would have more luck finding a clown that is a little bigger next time?

andy51632

Do u have a full glass canopy covering your tank? Do you get much water movement on the surface of the tank? If it is low oxygen, the clowns could of slowly been weakened over the course of time.

mombostic

One powerhead isn't a lot in a 55, IMO. I had three in mine, plus the skimmer plus the filter. It's important that the surface of the water is agitated across the tank if possible. I don't think it's likely that the top of the tank is completely air tight, but it could be making a poor situation worse. Maybe the tiny little clowns were more affected by something like this. That's just a theory--but I think you're doing good by adding things slowly and checking your water, and it's good that your adding the other PH and the skimmer. Good luck!

redinator

Originally Posted by jsteph24
also, the test kit I have tests the pH, nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia. Should I be testing for anything else?
Don't forget salinity. I just recently purchased a refractometer. The salinity was 1.03 with a bad hydrometer. For $41 the refractometer is a fun toy. :happyfish

jsteph24

My protein skimmer comes on monday and so does my powerhead. I will probably order another powerhead and a refractometer, thanks for all the info! There is pretty good water movement on the top of the tank, and throughout. You can always see the fake anenome(I know, it's fake, but I do not have lights or water quality for a real one yet, and the shrimp decided to host it for a few days) moving with the current, and the LMB loves to move in the current. Everything in the tank will probably be very happy once I get more water movement though. I was thinking about ordering a canister filter as well, would this be overkill?

jsteph24

would it be possible.... my LMB is the BIGGEST pig ever, he eats so much, and he is really fast during feeding. Could it be possible that the little clowns could not compete for food well enough? sorry I have so many questions, I just want to figure out what is going on! It does sound like maybe the clowns were not getting enough oxygen, but wouldn't everything else be affected to?

mombostic

Well, if they were already delicate, maybe they were the first to show it. That's hard to say because usually inverts hurt first, but I have no clue what kind of respiration rate inverts have compared to fish--that's getting in a little over my head. Maybe even a slight depletion could hurt them because they were so little, then if you add in that they weren't able to compete at feeding time, maybe that's all it took. I know that tiny little tangs have a very high mortality rate, too. Sometimes they are already doomed before they ever get to your tank.
Kudos to you for your fake anemone! At least you are researching your hobby! A fake one is a lot better than a dead real one.