Both False Percs died today!

scuba diva

I went out for about 2 hours and came home. Both of my false perculas were dead! They were in a 29 w/a pinstripe small wrasse and a small niger!? thay are fine. Both were eating, I do not know. I tested the water again, no changes. Perfect! I have one of my bubble tips in there fro them. What could it have been? Anyone ever had that happen?

ibew41

in a 29g with all those fish and an anem what kind of skimmer lighting and do you have a sump? also post all water test results

scuba diva

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alk 180
PH 8.2 - 8.3
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.023- just under 30
Use a Mardel test strip & my old fashioned liquid test. I then had my Husband test again to be sure that I was right. I have snails, hermits & emeralds in there for clean-up. About 60lbs LR. There were 4 fish, 1 anemone . That is not too many inhabitants. Usually 1/10gal. Eclipse tall. I have a ViaAqua multi skimmer /UV sterilizer and a bio wheel. Adding trace elem. (Daylight and actinic flourescent.) Temperature 76-78 F. Looked at by LFS advised all ok. All well for 2 weeks.

scuba diva

Not a mark on clowns. He came from a girl on ARC, another forum. It is juve. It never bothered anything in her tank. I never saw it bother them. He had his man-cave & they had their anemone. No problem ever.

ice4ice

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2793899
You had a niger trigger in a 29? Who wants to bet he went on a rampage?

I agree. I won't be a bit surprised the Niger killed them both. A trigger shouldn't even belong in a 29G tank.

scuba diva

They are the essential elements (minerals)that are needed for fish only & reef tanks that appear naturally in the ocean waters and from sunlight. These are removed when there are protien skimmers and UV sterilizers running. They are used by corals, inverts & fish. Many people add them seperately, Strontium, molybdate, potassium, magnesium..ect... I actually add extra iodide for inverts. I had my 55 tank for 7 years, upgraded to a 90 last month and have had a great healthy reef for all 7 years. Much success w/corals & all my fish. The trigger did not kill the clowns. Not a mark as I said. He went in because he was smaller than a 50 cent piece and I was moving him to my 90. I just got him and was acclimating him there since 2 tanks were fed from each other. So the serial trigger theory is not correct.

gmann1139

Have you ever tested your iodine level? I know high iodine levels can kill shrimp, but I've never heard of it affecting fish, but its worth a shot.
BTW, I'm still wondering about the 'all well for two weeks' statement. Is that how long the percs have been in there? The trigger?