bought seahorse after an hour laying on bottom

osborne

bought it today acclimated it for an hour. swam good for about an hour and is now laying on its side on the bottom. my parameters are good and salinity is 1.025

teresaq

is it breathing heavy, try adding an air line, no airstone, just lots of large bubbles.
T

osborne

i can add an air line with out a stone, just bubbles coming from the hose, it was in a tank with lots of bubbles. All their tanks had lots of bubbles but i was always told that was a no-no?

osborne

well i have fish in my tank too, they did too, Im doing a lil water change right now. So what should I do. Air or not horse not looking to good for real.

grabbitt

What would be the other inhabitants you have with it? Do you have any idea what kind of horse it is?

zeke92

he said he acclimated it for an hour. i don't think that would be too short to have any problems.
i suggest taking some water to a nice LFS and have them check your salinity and stuff. hydrometers over time can build up crap and get air bubbles if your not careful when you test the water. i forgot exactly what my lfs guy said but thats pretty much what he said i think. anyway it could say 1.025 but it could be 1.030 if your hydrometer is older or if you don't test the water very carefully. thats how i lost a couple of mine.
just a thought

kanicky

We need some more info on your tank, my friend

Exact parameters?
Tankmates?
Tank description?
Temp?
These all play a factor in how well a seahorse will fare in your aquarium...

osborne

thanks everyone for post, the horse seem to do good after one night in the tank and now day later I come home and its back on the bottom again. I have 1 tomato clown, sailfin, bicolor angle and couple of scared groomis in the tank. I have a green brain, sabre anemone and maybe 5 frags. I just had some corals to die of because of low salinty, I now have it around 1.024-1.025. Thanks for all help hate to see lil horsey die.

teresaq

Right off the bat i can tell you that any thing that stings will kill your horse. Especially an anemone.
Do you have a QT, I would get it out asap. most all the fish you have will stress a horse out. horses need to be in a species only tank. There are few fish that are suitable tank mates.
take a look at this
http://www.seahorse.org/library/arti...ankmates.shtml

osborne

well, im waiting on QT tank to cycle just started it this week. The only other tank i could put it in had a blue damsel that i took out of this tank to put the horse in. It also has 2 clowns, 1 blue tank and couple of other fish. All fish are small though. So I guess I have made a bad choice buying this horse. Guess a lesson learned. This is a tank raise horse, or at least thats what they told us. Thanks for all info.

teresaq

Where are you located, maybe you could take it back to your lfs or find someone in your area with horses. I would hate to see it die also, do you have anyway of seperating it, sepecially the anemone
T

Perhaps your horse got stung by the anemone thats in your tank.None of the tankmates are seahorse safe.Your horse is probably very stressed.If you have another cycled tank I'd put the horse in there [with seahorse safe tankmates ] .

kanicky

If seahorses are to be kept with fish at all, they need to be kept with docile tankmates, such as (most, not all) gobies and blennies. Even clownfish are iffy, because they can be aggressive when eating, and ANY fish in the tank with a seahorse will compete with it for food.
It's best to keep them in a species-only tank.
Also, as was already mentioned, stinging corals cannot be kept with seahorses. Seahorses hitch on everything and can be badly hurt if they hitch on a stinging coral or anemone.
I hope you are able to move her/him to her/his own tank and if not, I hope you are able to find a good home for her/him.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Kanicky
http:///forum/post/2598536
If seahorses are to be kept with fish at all, they need to be kept with docile tankmates, such as (most, not all) gobies and blennies. Even clownfish are iffy, because they can be aggressive when eating, and ANY fish in the tank with a seahorse will compete with it for food.
It's best to keep them in a species-only tank.
Also, as was already mentioned, stinging corals cannot be kept with seahorses. Seahorses hitch on everything and can be badly hurt if they hitch on a stinging coral or anemone.
I hope you are able to move her/him to her/his own tank and if not, I hope you are able to find a good home for her/him.
I'll take him!!

Lisa