Bound to fail

cdn_beaver

After doing a fair bit of reading on these boards, it seems to be a general consensus that if your using tap water, you may aswell quit and not bother. Unfortunately, where I live I have yet to find a usable source of RO water, and purchasing my own RO unit is not an option. I have been using tap water conditioned with Aqua Plus, and mixed with Instant Ocean salt and Sea Chem Marine Buffer 8.3, wich is allowed to sit for atleast 24hours before used for top offs and water changes. My tank is about 2 months old, and does not have fish yet. I have included a picture.
My question I guess is, should I cut my losses and quit, or has anybody got any usefull advice?
Thanks.

T

tuningvis

if all your parameters are good i dont see why not to go ahead with it.

leona

Are there any grocery stores near you that has a water system outside the store were you would pay like .25 a gallon. Most of them are RO water. That's how we get our water. We have well water that is very high in trates and was causing us alot of problems since we switched it's been ok.
Also depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank reef or fish only.
Leona

cdn_beaver

I would like my tank to evolve into a reef tank as it matures.
Ive tried the RO water from local grocery stores, and when I mix the salt and buffer, the water becomes very cloudy and does not settle.

blitz99

i'm new here... but i worked at a saltwater store in 89' - 91ish.... i know people think most stores are there to get the fish in and get it out, but the tanks usually do pretty well when they are cared for...
my point??? i personally believe some here take it to the EXTREME and want the lamborghini of everything instead of a porsche...
nobody used RO water back in the day... and i guarentee the local stores dont.

lion_crazz

In regards to the "and i guarentee the local stores dont", I must say that that is false around here. Most stores in this area use RO for their systems, but that is only because they need to have very high water quality due to the amount of fish going in and out of their systems on a weekly basis.
I know several people who have used tap water and gotten away with it. Test your tap water and find out what the results are. I, myself, have used tap water in my own tank (at times!) and have not gotten into any trouble. I have never had a nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, phosphate problem, and my tank has been doing great. I have only lost one fish due to unnatural causes (but that was my own fault). However, before dumping any tap water into my tank, I checked the parameters and made sure they were safe. For example, I tested my tap and found out that there was no ammonia or nitrite, however, there was 10ppm of nitrates. Since I am only doing a FOWLR right now, I knew that this would not be detrimental if I kept up water quality. And because I do weekly water changes on my tank, along with the tremendous equipment I have working in my tank and the 70 lbs. of live rock, I have not had any fish die due to poor water qualities and all my fish are happy.
However, if I was planning to do a reef, this would be a bit of a problem because trates are much less tolerable in reef systems.
It all depends on your water. Some people have good water, and some others don't. Test it, post it, and then we can give you a better opinion. However, at this point, I think your tank is looking great!

duke13

I started my tank with RO water but whenever I do water changes I use good ol tap water. Obviously you should treat the water prior to adding it. I use Chloradsorb for removing the ammonia (don't use Amquel, it only masks the ammonia insteading dissipating it) and I use Novaqua for removal of bad metals/minerals.

C

crm13

Don't give up! I stated this on a post a few months ago, but a very good friend of mine has successfully kept a reef setup using tap water for about 8 years. He has fish that are at least 6 years old and some coral for almost as long as his tank has been established. Last year, or maybe about a year and a half now, he purchased an rodi unit because he moved into a new house and has well water. He didn't want to take a chance on a big change in water chemistry just in case, so yeah, he bought one. I definitely think that rodi water makes life easier for you, but don't throw in the towel because you're not using it. There are people on this board that can make you feel like that. Like anything short of the best makes you less capable or less likely to succeed. Makes life easier, but not less likely to succeed. You just need to be more diligent and spend a little more time on your setup. It's possible that you can be just as successful as anyone else. And when the time comes (even after 8 years), you may break down and buy one. I know someone else that did that.:D But, only if you want to, not because you have to. Good luck, and by the way, your tank looks good so far.

bigarn

As stated, if all your parameters are good GO FOR IT. Certain areas have better tap water than others. Have you considered using distilled water? :D

mytank

I too, am not able to afford an expensive RO water system and got tired of purchasing all the distilled water at the market. I found a portable unit for about $40 that works just fine. When you make your water you just hook it up and let if fill the water jugs and it works really well.

copeseter

I have been using tap water for years and cannot imagine things growing any better, I have corraline on everything, I have to clean it off the glass every day and just fragged a bunch of corals that have gotten out of hand. I guess I am lucky to have such good tap water, better than most.

cowfishrule

i was using tap water on my first adventure into salt water, and as i am giving it another shot, i will keep using tap water.

sawillia

CDN_Beaver:
I'm guessing you're on Base and that's why RO isn't an option.
----'s seller does have an option to hook your hose up to an RO filter.
You could attach the filter to the hose and use the run off water for washing your motorcycle, Car or clothes if you have a washer...
If you're really concerned and want it it can be done...
Email me for links if you're interested...
sawillia@nospamcarolina.rr.com
take out the nospam part.
i'm sure there is a way... :)

cdn_beaver

Thank you all for the help, support and replys.
Im not on BASE. RO isnt an option for me basically due to the cost. :nope: Mybe some time down the road...
Ive talked with the LFS and they tell me that they are also using conditioned tap water. However, their tanks are definitely no screaming hell, and for the most part are all FOWLR
I'm trying to find a city water technician in the hopes of getting an analysis of the tap water.
I have been unsuccessful as of yet to reduce my NitrAtes, and phosphates to zero. I think this may be due to the tap water, which is causing my pest algae issues.
Thanks again. :)

S

sebae0

the reason why the ro water you bought got cloudy after mixing is because you addedd the buffer after the salt and it precipatated out. the salt mix will get your ro water ph where it should be without the buffer. try it again and don't add the buffer then test the ph of the water it should be close.

T

tizzo

I skimmed through the posts so if this has been answered then I apologize. There are about a million cities in the U.S. all with a different water source. Fish are a lot more tolerable to bad (tap) water than corals. I HAVE seen reef tanks thrive on tap for a LONG time, but they did eventually diminish. If an RO unit is too expensive for you, have you checked the price of corals?? I would hate to see someone invest their time and money into a hobby to have it fail due to a $150 RO unit (Home depot). Bottum line is that it depends on the water analasys in your area. We have no way of knowing if there is lead, copper, or any other contaminate in your water source. Call your water dept, and get an analasys. Then post what it says, and THEN we can give you a more accurate answer.:)

cdn_beaver

Thanks again to everybody. It seems getting a water analysis from the city is like pulling teeth.
Thank you for the suggestion sebae0. I found another source of RO water, and tested the water after adding only the salt. PH seems alright. I didnt realize that the salt mix would adjust the PH aswell. Thank you. If I use this water, will the buffer pecipitate out again, if I have to add buffer to my tank to raise the PH?

leona

We were buffering buffering and buffering to no avale until we changed to RO water and ever since we did our PH has been fine. No buffer needed. Make sure to take your average. Test your water for PH in am BEFORE the lights go on and PM before the lights go out and find out what your average is. It might take a awhile for your main tank to change over to a balanced ph ours did. Ours hovered at 7.8 until we finally cycled our 55g tank with RO water. Now we are 8.1 steady with NO buffer. We were using well water. We already had High Nitrates in our Well water.....VERY HIGH. Our trates are at 10-20 also what helped our trates was changing over to LS and not CC. We saw a difference wright away. Amazing.
hope this helps

hagfish

Nitrates and Phosphates don't have to be perfect to keep fish, crabs, shrimps, etc. Those were the only chemicals you mentioned as being bad so if ammonia, nitrites, and PH are ok you should be able to start adding some livestock.

V

vw86gti

I use tap. Just make sure to test it prior. Fortunately for me, my tap water is perfect on every level. No problems yet.