Boycott Gass Day...

jovial

Originally Posted by REEFER545
I am curious why the newly discovered oil reserves in the gulf which were supposed to decrease the price of gas have not. Here in Chicago prices are going over 4 dollars insome places, but remain pretty constant at about 3,85 per gallon. Nonetheless, I feel gorged. I have an suv. I can afford the gas. Prices were promised by our gov to be lowered, and i feel they have stepped aside from the fiduciary responsibilities promised to us tax paying citizens. Cigarettes, gas, property tax, etc, the rich steal from the needy to make themselves richer. I see no promises being upheld on their end, and if we do not comply on every angle we are CRIMINALS. BS. The worst part is that the dow and nasdaq are continually lowering in worth, which is going to send us all in a downward spiral so the greedy can keep steaks on their table.

Good point! People depend on the government entirely too much. Gasoline will never go down more that a few cents at a time and when it does for some reason folks get happy. Its still over 3 bucks a gallon?. There is absoloutely nothing to prevent the oil companies from charging people $6 or 7.00 a gallon and eventually they will try it here. Until people learn how supply and demand works they will continue to be gouged by the greedy. The choke point isnt the ammount of crude oil, its the production of gasoline at the refineries. Oil companies refuse to produce more or build new refineries because it will impact their control over the consumer.
Sometimes it is necessary to take a small step backwards to make huge gains forward. Why not just buy a diesel and make your own fuel?, or make ethanol. If someone can bake a cake they can make either. After all what did we do before modern appliances.

fccman

[QUOTE=. The choke point isnt the ammount of crude oil, its the production of gasoline at the refineries. Oil companies refuse to produce more or build new refineries because it will impact their control over the consumer.
Thats not entirely true, for the most part its the epa and the x-treme enviormentalists that keep new refineries from being built. A good example is that in sothern Arizona an oil company has been trying to build a new plant for about 10 years but enviormentalists keep finding reasons that it shouldn't be, so a judge stops th project from moving on over and over again. That kind of litigation on top of the cost of a new refinery could end up costing trillions of dollers which in turn would then effect the price of gasoline again.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Jovial
Good point! People depend on the government entirely too much. Gasoline will never go down more that a few cents at a time and when it does for some reason folks get happy. Its still over 3 bucks a gallon?. There is absoloutely nothing to prevent the oil companies from charging people $6 or 7.00 a gallon and eventually they will try it here. Until people learn how supply and demand works they will continue to be gouged by the greedy. The choke point isnt the ammount of crude oil, its the production of gasoline at the refineries. Oil companies refuse to produce more or build new refineries because it will impact their control over the consumer.
Sometimes it is necessary to take a small step backwards to make huge gains forward. Why not just buy a diesel and make your own fuel?, or make ethanol. If someone can bake a cake they can make either. After all what did we do before modern appliances.

i don't think its supply and demand to be honest. there's no way the gas companies could be reporting quarterly profits in the trillions if they weren't price gouging. they are stock piling their money for when cars run on gasoline are obsolete

vpotts28

The only way big oil will feel the crunch, is to stop buying from a particular company. The way they describe it in the email will never work, you will eventually have to fill up, so it balances itself out. But if we were all to buy from BP for a week or two, and nobody went to exxon, then exxon would feel the pinch and would have to lower its prices.
As far as people saying people with SUV's or gas guzzling cars are idiots. That is a little ridiculous. If people can afford them, well then, to each their own. Its their business, and nobody elses.
The reason it fell so dramatically last fall was due to the end of a driving season, and airline companies could not afford the jet fuel so they cut flights to save. Since more fuel is consumed in airplanes compared to vehicles, oil companies were forced to cut prices. Supply and demand. I find it ridiculous that gas has jumped $1.50 since february, but the price per barrel is far less than it was at the same time last year.
But I did get word from my Aunt who works for a company on the coast in FL that distributes gasoline, that gas should fall more than .20 by this weekend.

renogaw

actually, that is incorrect. the big gas companies all trade gas, so if one is selling too much, they will buy from another one.

earlybird

For those of you with hummers or big suv's here's an option to get the haters off your back. Europe's "Smart Cars" are going to be showing up in the US soon. You could get one and throw it in the back kinda like a spare.
Looks like a coffin on wheels.

gregghia

Originally Posted by earlybird
For those of you with hummers or big suv's here's an option to get the haters off your back. Europe's "Smart Cars" are going to be showing up in the US soon. You could get one and throw it in the back kinda like a spare.

Dude this thing IS a coffin on wheels! Someone I work with here in the States has one of these. Its "cute" and all but once you see it and understand its size or lack thereof it will make you think twice about driving on the roads with big SUVs. I mean the first thing you think of is what happens if I got hit, at any speed, by a SUV or truck. You stand ZERO chance of coming out in 1 piece. The only way I would drive this is if the entire commucnity had this and everyone is on a level playing field.

renogaw

there was an article on yahoo a few weeks back that suggest hummers are better for the earth than toyota prius cars are. something about making the nickle for the battery on the prius has killed the area in canada for miles and miles, and the epa gas mileage is incorrect for when it is not running on electricity.

Originally Posted by earlybird

They're not in the states yet? They're all over Canada now.

jovial

Whats the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? You just dont see vehicles like our big SUVs in other countries. Especially in Japan. I think it's a cultural thing. The all about me mentality is pretty ridiculous and selfish when you think about it.

jovial

Originally Posted by fccman
Thats not entirely true, for the most part its the epa and the x-treme enviormentalists that keep new refineries from being built. A good example is that in sothern Arizona an oil company has been trying to build a new plant for about 10 years but enviormentalists keep finding reasons that it shouldn't be, so a judge stops th project from moving on over and over again. That kind of litigation on top of the cost of a new refinery could end up costing trillions of dollers which in turn would then effect the price of gasoline again.
Actually according to Chemistry Professor Mark Eberhart B.S., M.S., Ph.D. the choke point is the refineries. If you get a chance, I recommend listening to this documentary.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2007/05/19.html