Brackish Water question...wha????

dsmccain

Hi there, I am planning on starting a brackish water aquarium. The main fish will be green spotted puffer. I am aware that over time they require saltwater. Well, I am starting the tank with just fresh water(RO/DI ofcourse). With my periodic water changes, I will add salt to it little by little. (20 gallon tank, 5 gallon water change, maybe about 1/4 cup of salt per gallon).
But the real question is this, is about the bacteria colony, how well are they able to adapt to the change in salinity?

ophiura

They will adapt fine if you are going slow. I don't think you have to worry, but as always keep an eye on water quality just in case.

markw

Puffers produce an enormous amount of waste, so make sure you keep up on the water changes regularly. Weekly or better would be ideal if you dont have a great filter. In a 20g, the water will get foul quickly so make sure youre also up on your testing. I used to have a figure 8 puffer and a GSP (both of which I kept brackish) and they are great little critters with fantastic personalities. They dont really need full salt until they are elder juveniles, almost adults I believe, so there is no need to make the change too soon. Go slow with it to minimize stress.
Good luck with your little friend.
Mark

joe____17

Originally Posted by Markw
http:///forum/post/3134010
Puffers produce an enormous amount of waste, so make sure you keep up on the water changes regularly. Weekly or better would be ideal if you dont have a great filter. In a 20g, the water will get foul quickly so make sure youre also up on your testing. I used to have a figure 8 puffer and a GSP (both of which I kept brackish) and they are great little critters with fantastic personalities. They dont really need full salt until they are elder juveniles, almost adults I believe, so there is no need to make the change too soon. Go slow with it to minimize stress.
Good luck with your little friend.
Mark

Yep, i had green spotted puffers, fascinating little guys . They don't require full salt till they reach adulthood though. Also yes they do produce a lot of waste!