Brain Question

crt81

I have a green brain in my tank and it is slowly looseing some of its soft tissue. Showing more of the hard exoskelenton(SP?).
I know it's possible it is my fault b/c it is under my 12 gallon aquapod's lighting but I was wondering if this could be another explaination! On the brain, there are these small brown spec's, that when you try to scrape them off they move. So are these bugs, and are they the reason the brain is dying? Are they eating the coral?

dude23455

can you take a picture of these bugs? are they flat?
also do you know what type of brain it is? ie wesophilia or trachophilia, lobophilia etc... google image search those names to see pictures of them.
also- what is the wattage of the aquapod lighting? Im pretty sure is a PC lighting system but i dont know the wattage.

crt81

Originally Posted by Dude23455
can you take a picture of these bugs? are they flat?
also do you know what type of brain it is? ie wesophilia or trachophilia, lobophilia etc... google image search those names to see pictures of them.
also- what is the wattage of the aquapod lighting? Im pretty sure is a PC lighting system but i dont know the wattage.

I couldn't find a pic of the brain I have but it is the size if a silver dollar-maybe a little bit bigger, it is definitely an open brain, and it's neon lime green. The lighting I think is at least 70 watts maybe give or take a few watts. I haven't upgraded the lights b/c I'm planning on upgrading within a few weeks (ordering a new 65 gal tank tomorrow). And yes the bug-like creatures are flat and quick to slide away from my finders. The don't hop of the coral when I try to pick at them, they just slide off to the side. And they are soooo small that I don't think I can get a decent size picture of them!
Does this help any?

crt81

Yeah they look like that!
Are they bad? Will they spread in my tank?
How should I get rid of them? Should I get rid of them?

And they are only on this one coral. There is maybe 3, 4 at the most!

petjunkie

You can try Sailfert flatworm exit, it got rid of most of mine but not all but you can also siphon them out as you see them and cut down on feeding so they will die out. Your brain sounds like a trachyophilla they are a little more difficult I think, is any of the flesh resting on the sand or rock? What are your water parameters at and how are you testing them? How long have you had it?

crt81

No there's no fish that rest on the bottom of the substrate. And they are only on the brain. Parameters are all normal.

dude23455

If they are only on that one coral then i would just dip that coral using a iodine dip. No reason to treat the whole tank if only one coral is affected.

dude23455

Here is something i pulled off of another sight
"Lugol's or Iodine Dip... Lugol's is a concentrated iodine solution, 40 drops to a gallon of saltwater for no more than 7 minutes, should effectively disinfect a coral. Do NOT use this procedure on fish, although I've used it on Sea Stars with some good results. Do NOT dump the dip water back into the tank, discard it. If you're using something like Kent Tech - D or Seachem Reef Dip, follow the directions on the package. Those products use Iodine and Potassium Bromide and other compounds to achieve the same end - to disinfect corals of bacteria and other pathogens.
"
I think lugols solution can be bought at drugs stores and I know that Kent Marine makes a lugols solution also.
I personally use Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure. Im partial to them as I use their Pro Reef salt too.
You will need to buy one of these Dip products and follow the instructions on the box. It will rid the coral of flatworms and other parasites if it has any.