Brand name tanks and equiptment, comments please

jerryreef

What is the difference between the Oceanic, Perfecto, Tenecor, Clarity Plus and others on the market? Are there any major trade offs?
I saw a Perfecto 220 gallons 72” x 24” x 30” no predrilled holes and, going for $729, with a 5 yr. warranty. Will it be just as functional without the predrilled bottom holes?
The Oceanic 120 gallons 48” x 24” x 24” with predrilled holes and readied compartments (located two back corners) cost $1,139.99 and the 180 gallon 72” x 24” x 24” cost 1,579.99; both with fifteen yr warranty.
For a saltwater reef aquarium, how important are the predrilled bottom holes? And, tank quality, comparing the above 3 brands, any major trade offs?
What particular Berlin protein skimmer system (or other brands/model) plus other necessary equipment that I will need to consider for a saltwater reef aquarium?
BTW, the aquariums above are all glass.
Thanks
[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: Jere ]

jimi

Quality, quality & quality is the difference. Oceanic is the best in my opinion.

puffdad

I'm purchasing a 90G oceanic tank right now, and plan on setting up a sump. Some of the advice I've received is that for large tanks (especially the sizes you're looking at) is that sumps are crucial for aquariums and indespensible for reef setups (I'm doing fish only and I'm still using a sump). That being said, if you are planning on a sump and buying a new tank you should most definitely get it w/ pre-drilled holes, overflows (I assume these are the 'readied compartments' your post refers to), and an overflow kit, especially if you're not much of a plumber like me & you don't want to make a plumbing mistake that could cost you your carpet & fish. I am going to go w/ a 90G w/ all of these factory-installed. I could probably do it all for cheaper, but it's worth spending the money for me to have it done the right way. Check out DIY (do-it-yourself) sumps (look up DIY sumps) on the internet and talk to someone your lfs about setting up a sump...I have made a few phone calls to understand how to do it, and with the overflow kits I will order in the tank I am pretty confident that I can pull if off very easily (and I remind you that my knowledge of plumbing is limited to pushing the flush lever after I use the toilet, but my wife will tell you that I am a poor plumber even in this regard).
Also, you have probably read up on the subject & this advice is does not apply...but I recommend that you do a lot of reading on the subject. I've been doing aquariums for 3 years, salt for 1.5, and I still don't think I have nearly enough experience for reef (that's why I'm planning a fish only again). Very demanding, mistakes are emotionally and financially draining, and best to take utmost precaution before starting so you don't make the mistakes.
Someone else can speak to skimmers because as I mentioned, I don't have any experience here. I am researching though, so for what it's worth...best brands recommended are Aqua-C, CPR (Creative plastics research), and AquaMedic TurboFlotor (not sure what models for these brands are appropriate to your sizes). I've decided on the Turboflotor 1000 or CPR SR4 or SR6 (can't remember now) for my setup.
Someone else will speak to other equipment too. I can tell you that you will need a substrate (preferably aragonite sand bed, from 2-4"), live rock (indespensible but very expensive, about 1lb per gallon), several powerheads, heaters, a return pump for sump, possibly a wet'dry filter, etc.
Use the search feature on the web site, very helpful.
Hope this helps!

jerryreef

Looks like I shall be starting off with a reef ready 180-gallon tank by All-Glass; for $860 from one of the LFS. Not certain about the stand, but possibly the cherry wood, which is about $675. And as for the canopy, I plan to build one myself as I find the standard canopy too low and not much space for air flow.
I like the semi circle corner overflow compartments/chambers and the two spread out top glass braces equipped on the All-Glass models. Seems to be more convenient for maneuverability and access.
I plan to go through the floor into the basement for the sump and pump placements.
Some of the other equipment I am considering are:
  • Maxi 400 FilPI 36x12x18.5 9 gal bio-cap 108 to 240 gallon sump.
  • Evolution 750 Protein Skimmer
  • Iwaki 40 rlt pump (750 gph) to run my skimmer
  • live rock (how much ??)
  • live sand (about 20 lbs ??)
  • Salt (recommended brand ??)
  • 2 Maxi Jets 1200 power heads
    Chiller (recommended brands ??)
    2 Heaters
    4 stage RO/DI (35 to 45 gal/day) or are the 5 stage pre-filtration more desirable. Any comments on the 9 Stage Reverse Osmosis, Deionization Filter Systems?
    water tester kits
    critters, still working on list
    working on lights (suggestions for bringing out color and functionality??)
Most appreciative of any suggestions and comments.
BTW, also ordered a bunch of books on the subject and, reading up on another bunch :D
Thanks for all the help guys.

pufferlover

Oceanic is my choice now for any large tank. After having 2 All-Glass 150's and having problems with both I replaced that one with the 125 Oceanic a year ago May and I love that tank. Of my tanks Oceanic accounts for the 135-125-58-58. The 65 is a All-Glass and frankly I like that tank, but above a 75 no way would I go All-Glass for what I consider the small price difference from a good lfs. My 46 BF is a Perfecto and it has been a first class tank for a number of years now. The 45 is All-Glass but I don't like it because I feel at 12" it is too narrow (bought that as my first tank way back when). My little tanks are mainly All-Glass and were bought as QT and HT tanks (before I filled them with fish to).