Brand New 90 Gal Build

clownsrcoo

I have wanted to start a build thread since I started my project about a month ago but have been too busy to find the time to get on here and document it along the way so i will start now.
I am starting a FOWLR tank for now until I feel experienced enough to convert to a reef tank.
I have a Marineland 90 gallon tank with a 700GPH corner overflow.

I have a precision marine R30 sump tank which is approximately 30 gallons.
My equipment:
-GLO 2 bulb T5 unit. (Will def upgrade once i start reefing)
-Eheim Compact 3000 return pump (792gph)
-(1) Koralia Evolution powerhead (1050 gph)
-Jager 200W heater
-Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein skimmer
I have a 150GPD RO unit and (2) 32 Gal Brute trash cans for my water change station. I have a small Maxi-Jet 400 in the can designated for the saltwater to help me mix the salt. Both cans are connected to a Panworld 30PX pump so I can move the water where it is needed.

I just ordered 50lbs of Florida base rock and am waiting for that to come in so i can see what i think of if before buying more. If i like it ill order another 50lbs and if i dont want my entire tank to have that then ill buy about 50lbs of fiji LR in addition to that.
I want to have about a 1-2" live sand bed.
Where I currently am on this project:
I have all my equipment needed on hand and my RO system is fully operational. I have my stand built, but am in the process of covering it in formica and mounting the hardware. I hope to have the stand fully completed this weekend and I can paint the back of the tank and start setting it up. Hopefully I can start pumping water into it this weekend as well. My base rock should be here by the weekend and I will pick up the sand this weekend as well at a LFS.
Here are just some quick shots of my stand built

52-6947-00000562238A7919_zpsf8c7facb.jpg" alt="" />
I currently have it about 95% covered in the formica.
If i am able to fnish what I hope to finish by this weekend i would like to start putting water into the tank to start my cycling process. I wont have my full load of rock for the tank in as i stated by reason for that above but i will have the full amount by the following week once i make my decision so putting in the last half a week later really wont hurt anything. Only delay it a little bit.
Since I am setting this up for the very first time, if i decide to go with the last 50lbs of rock being Fiji LR will i need to worry about doing anything but cleaning the debris off of it before putting it in my tank? Since i am doing my initial cycling of the tank now anyway the rock will cure during this process too right?
I had a question about starting the cycle. Do any of you think the liquid bacteria aditives are really worth the money to help kick start the tank cycle or just doing the shrimp method alone is just fine?
How long should i put the pieces of shrimp in my tank for? Just until I start to see the amonia levels rise pretty high or what?
When i get home I will take more detailed photos for you all so you have a better idea of what i have and where i am at. I look forward to sharing my progress with you all and getting your much appreciated feedback.
Thanks,

pstanley

Based on the research I have done (and have been told), the live rock is all that you need to start and complete the cycle. As it cures, the die-off creates all of the ammonia that is needed.
The stand looks really good by the way :)

clownsrcoo

To your comment pstanley, I will not have any die off in the rock I am putting in the tank because it's all base rock. It has been cleaned of any debris and anything else it may have had on it so I will need an ammonia source to kick off the cycle. I will just use the shrimp method of introducing the bacteria to the tank.

clownsrcoo

I will try to post pictures tonight of the current state of the stand so you can see the Formica choose I went with. I will hopefully have a lot more progress to post this weekend for you all.

clownsrcoo

So here are some current pics of the stand. I have the formica covering the outside and have my measurements for my doors which i am going to be cutting this week and wrapping in the formica this weekend. The edges still have some of the contact cement showing so once i clean them up they will all be seamless looking. Also i only have the inside flooring pieces cut and not glued down yet which ill do this weekend as well. I went with a darker walnut wood grain appearance for the formica.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstanley http:///t/396578/brand-new-90-gal-build#post_3533726
Ahhh, ok...I thought you were adding live rock.

Even using live rock, I wouldn't trust it for a cycle...a chunk of raw shrimp, pure ammonia or ghost feeding... it's the safest thing to do, so you can be sure a good colony of the bacteria is there to keep your expensive hobby critters alive and healthy.

flower

clownsRcoo....I have a 90g, it's a nice size tank, and it looks like you're doing a bang up good job on your system set up.
IMPRESSIVE!

pstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396578/brand-new-90-gal-build#post_3533775

Even using live rock, I wouldn't trust it for a cycle...a chunk of raw shrimp, pure ammonia or ghost feeding... it's the safest thing to do, so you can be sure a good colony of the bacteria is there to keep your expensive hobby critters alive and healthy.
Now I am really confused lol.....all the research I have done up until now (months) stated that live rock was all that was needed for the cycle? I am getting ready to start the cycle so I need to get this figured out :)

clink51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstanley http:///t/396578/brand-new-90-gal-build#post_3533782
Now I am really confused lol.....all the research I have done up until now (months) stated that live rock was all that was needed for the cycle? I am getting ready to start the cycle so I need to get this figured out :)
the LR will host the bacteria colonies. Their will be die off no matter from where you are getting them, unless the tank is literally right next door. Get some sand. some rocks. throw a shrimp in there inside of a net (to easily take him out) and check your readings until youve gone through the whole shabang. TADAAAA 1-2 week cycle

beaslbob

nice stand.
FWIW I always start my marine tanks with macro algae. then do the rest.
(Usually needs a refugium to protect the algae).
byt that's just my .02

clownsrcoo

Does anyone have any experience with reef cleaners .com? I ordered my rock through them and am very happy with the pricing but their shipping is rediculously slow. Like 9 day ship time.