brand new SW fishtank owner

capital83

Hey all...I am brand new at salt water fishtanks. I need to know all there is to know about raising salt water fish. Mainly I am going to get a 60-75 gallon tank. We have very hard water where I live so I dont know how to go about maintaining a good ph...Also I found a good compatability chart but what I really want to do is have caves and rocks for fish to hide in as well as anemonies and stuff like that. Can anyone help me out. I really want to learn this stuff but with my job right now I dont have much time to surf the internet and read all the articles I find...What do you think my best options would be and how to go about them? thanks so much for your help!!! :help:

dragonzim

Defintely get yourself a few books and READ everything you can find, including the archives on this site. There is a HUGE amount of great information in these forums.

slugg3r

I will warn you, being fairly new at this myself (getting towards 6 months), if you can't find the time in the day to surf the internet and learn about this hobby you won't have time to give the tank the attention it needs.
Especially early on you can't learn it all in a weekend so you need to continue to learn new things, and that takes time. It also takes time to maintain the tank. It is a wonderful hobby but you can't even get away with it "just on weekends". It takes a little attention every day.
As for actual advice for your situation, don't even think about starting until you have an RO (Reverse-Osmosis) system to purify your water. Especially knowing you have hard water already there is no way you can use it without RO Filtration.

f14peter

Still a card-carrying FNG myself, but get Fenner's THE CONSCIENTIOUS MARINE AQUARIST, considered the bible. Do be aware that much of the real-world advice you get here may contradict some things Fenner says, but there's no silver bullet in this hobby.
Note that while there's ways to get into this hobby without breaking the bank, it does cost some money. The approach the Mrs and I are taking is that it's better to spend some now on the proper and high quality equipment to achieve better results, avoid as many potential problems as we can, and have an easier to maintain system.
You mentioned hard water . . . do think seriously about getting your own RO/DI water unit. True, you can buy reverse-osmosis/de-ionized water, but in the long run you'll be miles (And dollars) ahead by making it yourself. They're not really expensive and easy-sleazy to set up.
Granted, to the uninitiated salt water tanks are a bit complicated to set-up and maintain, but not once you realize what it takes. Interestingly, the vast majority of responses I get when I mention setting up a SW tank is, "Are you going to hire someone to maintain it for you?" My response, "Um, no. Seeing that I can walk and chew gum at the same time, I'm perfectly qualified." Of course, that does take some education, but it's not outside the capabilities of most people if they're willing to take their time and learn. This board is full of threads about problems brought about by people doing too much too soon.
As already mentioned, it will take some time, so that will have to be factored into your life-schedule.
Probably the greatest piece of advice I or anyone else can give you is that this endeavor requires patience, patience, and even more patience. Please do not rush into anything . . . buying equipment, getting livestock, etc. We've had our tank in our living room for close to two months, and we're just getting ready to put salt water into it. It's not that we're slacking about it, but we've examined every aspect carefully, bought prudently (And have already saved several hundreds of dollars over MSRP), and not rushed.
Good luck and welcome!

1journeyman

1. Buy the book mentioned.
2. Keep posting with questions as you read through the book.
3. Caves and such can easily be designed with live rock.
4. Sounds like you want a reef tank; those require the big lights (metal halides and such)
5. Get the biggest tank you can afford.... a lot of people come at this hobbt from the "betta bowl" mentality. Don't. Bigger tanks allow you more options (though the cost goes up as well... research lighting, skimmers, refugiums/sumps, live rock, live sand, etc.)
6. Get a good RO/DI machine. That will save you a fortune in the long run. You can't run a successful saltwater tank on tap water (99% of the time... there are a few exceptions but the risks aren't worth it. a $200 water purification machine is a great investment)
7. Read and ask questions... NEVER believe what the local fish store tells you until you can confirm it.
8. In the archives thread there is a post on common abbreviations... the lingo is pretty easy once you've read it a bit.
9. The hobby is trying to replicate the most vast and complicated habitat in the world. It's always changing... plan on continuing to read and learn forever

capital83

Thanks everyone, for all of your thoughts!!! it is really helpful and less stressful now that I know I can become better educated talking to you. As it turns out right now I am working at *****, so I get a 30% discount on whatever I get from the store. I figure the only thing I will get from there is the Tank and the setup. There is a person in my store that specializes in SW aquariums. So I have been asking him questions. I am looking to invest in a 60-75 gallon tank right now and plan on getting the RO/DI system. I do want a reef tank because I love the way it looks, I am in no rush to get this done just looking for more info. You have really helped alot and I will keep you posted. Thanks again!!