Brand of Powerhead

benj2112

I used to have Powersweep powerheads. They have a nice rotating head action as well.
Some people have had problems with the sweeping action stoping, but I don't know how long ago those people had their problems.
Powersweeps were suppose to have redisigned and fixed that problem.
I had mine running for about 4 months without a single problem.
The only reason I stopped using them was because I made a sump with a SCWD on the return to make some good wave action.

B

bildotang

I used to have Powersweep powerheads. They have a nice rotating head action as well.
I totally agree. I own (2) of the big powersweeps, and I love them. I will not be putting them in my new tank, because I'm making a SCWD inside my tank also. I'm trying to make a nice turbulant water motion.
The only time I see the powersweeps having problems are when they get some algae build-up on the inside. The powerheads have an internal "fan" that causes the head to rotate, but with a good cleaning every couple of months (which only takes minutes), they're brand new again. And the replacement filters (which you should use) are really inexpensive.
Check out SWF.com, I'm sure they have them available.

T

thomas712

MAXI JETS -- oh sorry didn't mean to yell that.
Maxi Jets, do a search on them on this board you'll get a lot of information.
Thomas :yes:

elfdoctors

Originally posted by benj2112
Some people have had problems with the sweeping action stoping, but I don't know how long ago those people had their problems.

I've had a powersweep for about 4 months with nothing but problems. It gets stuck regularly. I had to move the output so much trying to get it moving that the deflector fell off and is now permanently stuck in my live rock. Within a week after I "fix" it, the thing is stuck again.
I've been switching to Maxijets also. The Rios that I started with have been a disappointment. 1 of the 4 I started with is still working and 1 has had to be replaced twice.

spinner

I, too, am happy with Maxi Jets.
I try to change out all pumps every 18 months or so. I stagger the schedule so, I do not have to change all pumps at once ($$). The reason I do this is an experience I had about 5 years ago.
A pump shorted and the electrical line to the pump body became exposed. The salt water corroded the line and leeched iron, copper and all sorts of unwanted chemicals into the tank. While the fish were fine, corals, coralline and many inverts slowly (and not so slowly) perished.
I could not for the life of me figure out the problem until I emptied the sump and found the bad pump.
While I realize that this may be overreactive, I've seen how damaging a bad pump can be.
I've been using Maxi's in my tank for circulation via my wavemaker and have been pretty satisfied. Reasonably priced and pretty effective.
Spinner

B

billb

Two Powersweeps and One Maxijet in my tank...
One of the two powersweeps stopped sweeping the first day, the second powersweep has been sticking after 14 days..The maxijet is not a sweeper but does push some pretty good water (it's a 900) and my clowns like to get in front of it for a rush..
The maxi seems like a sturdier pump...The power sweeps are only 214's and I'd probably opt for a different brand to try out..even if they can be cleaned, I don't want to maintain them all the time just because they are cheezy..
my 2 cents
billb

K

kistheeze

Define "best".
Best quality - tunze.
Best price and efficiency - Rio.
Best overall factoring in price and quality - maxijet 1200
Best overall factoring in price, quality AND efficiency - Maxijet 900.
I use 2 1200s and a 900 on my 90. Personally - I feel like it's a little less than I should have. My SPS agree somewhat. But my BIG LPS corals like it that way.

beckzilla

Originally posted by Spinner
I, too, am happy with Maxi Jets.
I try to change out all pumps every 18 months or so. I stagger the schedule so, I do not have to change all pumps at once ($$). The reason I do this is an experience I had about 5 years ago.
A pump shorted and the electrical line to the pump body became exposed. The salt water corroded the line and leeched iron, copper and all sorts of unwanted chemicals into the tank. While the fish were fine, corals, coralline and many inverts slowly (and not so slowly) perished.
I could not for the life of me figure out the problem until I emptied the sump and found the bad pump.
While I realize that this may be overreactive, I've seen how damaging a bad pump can be.
Spinner

This is a good example of using a GFCI breaker or receptacle on your power circuits that runs anything in your tank. An exposed power cord would have tripped immediately and showed there was a problem that needed immediate attention. BTW... Maxi-jets all the way.:yes: