Brand of Truck to pull horse trailer

al mc

Off the wall Saturday night question: I am trying to do my part to keep our economy going...so I want to purchase a truck that can pull a two horse 'bumper pull' trailer. When loaded the weight of the trailer and it's contents will be about 6000 #. I am considering a Toyota Tundra over thge 3/4 ton products from Ford (250) and GM (2500)...Anyone used a Tundra?
Any other suggestions or things I should consider?

nordy

I drive a 2009 F150, which I love, and while 6000 is within the towing ratings of my truck, you might want to consider a diesel if you are going to be pulling that trailer often. They are much more expensive, but can be cheaper in the long run with their durability and longevity. The new Ford Powerstroke 2 stage turbodiesel is an awesome and clean diesel engine.
While the Toyota is a very good truck, and is made in America, just remember that a lot of the profit on that truck goes right back to Japan. That isn't enough of a reason to choose domestic even though I am a long time Ford man, but IMO Ford and Chevy trucks are the best built and most reliable light and medium duty trucks available anywhere and are vehicles that give nothing up to Topyota, unlike their cars.

posiden

I would go for the Dodge. I would also consider using Biodiesel. Cummings babbie the only way to go.

al mc

Thanks for the responses. I have looked at the Fords and will look at the Dodge products. Anyone else? Especially interested in anyone that has a Tundra since they refitted them in 2007 with a larger 'C' chassis and their larger v8 engine.

I agree with the folks above about the diesel... especially if you are towing often other than that I like the tundras as well but they dont have a diesel package.

aquaknight

I wouldn't think you have to step up to 3/4 ton domestic truck. GM has the best powertain out of any light-duty pick-up, with the new 6.2L V8, 403hp and 417lb. ft. coupled to a 6-speed auto. Trailer weight is 9500#. Personally, I'd pick a GMC Sierra Denali
The GM twins also have trailer brake controllers like the F150. I don't see a reason to put up with the bouncy ride of the Tundra.
See for yourself;
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....shoot-out.html

al mc

AquaK...Thanks for the info and links. Very useful info.

Anyone else a Ford vs GMC vs Dodge vs Imports fan regarding a truck used for hauling in the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton range?

zsqure

If you are only towing 6k, get the 1/2 ton. Here's something to think about, How long do you expect to keep the vehicle? You'll never repay the investment for a diesel. They will have a higher resale, cost more to operate, brakes, tires, etc not to mention the thousands for an injection pump. I have had 2 diesels, a 2002 silverado that is still plowing snow with 190k mi. The truck has been a good truck but not great. I also just traded off a 2004 diesel silverado at 92k mi. which was a crew cab and I loved it. If you are towing go with a crew/shortbed, you get longer wheelbase and more useable room for YOU. In the future you can still tow a 5er or gooseneck. The tow packages on 1/2 tons are a joke research as much as possible. The ride of an hd3/4 ton diesel truck sucks, especially if it is your daily driver and you tow on the weekends. On both of my diesel gm trucks I got 24.5 mpg on the hwy and 21 around town. EMPTY, not towing. A gasser will give you 12 around town and 19 on the hwy--never trust a salesman they are trying to convince you their product is best so you will buy it. Ford has probably got the best 1/2 ton crew out there. Dodge has the best diesel for longevity. As far as the Toy, do a lot of research, don't limit yourself to asking a bunch of fish geeks what they like. Ask landscapers, cement masons, look and see what is towing what. Spend your 40k wisely.
Ford, Dodge and GM are working on 1/2 ton diesels right now.

reefraff

Diesels are the way to go. My 2002 is pretty old technology now. My crew cab 4x4 can pull of 24 on the highway if I keep it under 70. Try that in your Gasser. From what I am seeing the new Ford 6.4 is the "best" but any of the 3 are pretty damn sweet.

nordy

Agree with most of the replies above regarding diesels and trucks in general. In my first reply above, I did not recommend Dodge trucks because I am not sure about just how long Chrysler will be around. Not that GM and Ford aren't in trouble, but Chrysler is hurting. The Dodge trucks with the Cummins engine are great trucks and you could probably get that Cummins serviced most anywhere that handles diesels, but warranty repairs on a truck, no matter how good, built by a company no longer in business may be sketchy.
For zsqure, hey who callin' a fish geek guy?
Just because I have a "Be a Geek" (from reef Geeks in CA) bumper sticker on my F150 doesn't mean I'm a fish geek. Even if I am.

Generally speaking, for heavy duty towing diesels really are the way to go and while the premium is 7-8K for the Navastar built Powerstroke in a Ford, it is the way to go when towing and should command somewhat of a premium when you sell it. Yeah, the 14-15 I get around town on my 4.6 3V F150 with the 6 speed tranny sucks compared to a diesel but for my use, the Super Duty w/diesel just didn't make econimic sense.
I wouldn't want to use my 1/2 ton F150 for regular towing; it is a great truck for my little painting/handyman/light hauling business but there is a reason that landscapers, masons, construction firms use Super Duty Fords, 3500 Dodges, or heavy duty Gm Silverado/Sierra trucks-they would kill a 1/2 ton pretty quickly doing their typical workload.

reefraff

Before I got my Diesel I had a F150 with a 5.4 for pulling a small 5th wheel that was around 6K pounds. I did fine unless I hit a head wind or grade, then it would kick it's butt. Rather than wear out the smaller truck I decided to get the oil burner