Brass ????

subee950

I am setting up a frag and one day breeding system here is my issue I bought a 110G plastic water container for animals that I am going to use for the sump/refugium and it has a brass plug in it I really don’t want to set my pump up on the front of the container where the plug is so I was thinking about just leaving it alone if the brass plug will not affect my system any thoughts????

grue

Brass is a buttery yellow alloy of zinc and copper which has been manufactured for thousands of years all over the world. The uses of brass vary depending on the percentages of zinc and copper, and which other metals have been added to alloy to bring out specific properties, but they include cartridge cases for weapons, pipes, weatherstripping, decorative accents on homes, musical instruments, and household ornaments. The color of the alloy will also vary, depending on the amount of zinc: brass gets lighter in color with additional zinc, and can reach a pale yellow stage.
Basic brass has approximately 67% copper and 33% zinc, making it stronger and more durable than copper, although not as strong as metals like steel. Alloys with even less zinc start to turn reddish in color, and are sometimes called red brass. Other metals are sometimes added to the alloy include lead to make brass more workable by machine, tin, arsenic, and antimony to resist corrosion, and iron to make the brass harder and easier to forge.
No brainer, Do not use. Replace it yesterday.
My 2 Cents
Grue

subee950

That’s what I thought I will have to bring the pipe out differently than I planed its just odd that they would use this plug in something that animals would drink from I wonder why they did not use a plastic plug. Well I will cut it out and be done with it I am just setting up so no harm done I am glad I asked thanks a lot for your feedback.