Brazilian horned moray eel

johnnyd

does any one have some info on these? i just ordered one online, but i cant find any info on them online. how big will they get and how aggressive are they. its going in a 55g for now. any help will be great and yes around the time it gets to to big it will go into a 125g. also what can i keep with this eel, puffers triggers?

el guapo

I might be wrong but I think you might be getting a dragon moray . I'm not too sure but I believe it might be a Mexican/Brazilian dragon moray. Not as colorful as the Hawaiian but still a pretty cool moray .

U

usirchchris

I had a mexican dragon many years ago...probably about 17 years ago...anywho...really cool eel. I had mine for about a year then had to move and was forced to get rid of it
. I do not remember it growing at a fast pace, and mine was probably about 1' or so when I sold it. I very much doubt this was even close to full grown, however. I had a huma huma and a lionfish in with mine...
I would not recommend combining a trigger and lion knowing what I know now.
A different website says 2' is typical in captivity.

mwxie

I agree with EL GUAPO
For info wise if they are as similar as I think they are to the Dragon Moray Eel just look up that for care info. (not sure about size) Just throwing it out there
Hope this helps

kjr_trig

Brazilian Dragon is one of my favorite Eels, I would love to have one someday. They are not horribly aggressive like a Tessy, but they are still pretty rough, small fish and fingers beware. There was a guy that used to hang out here that had a great one, it was about 30 inch long, he had it in a 300 gallon with a bunch of Tangs and 2 big Lions.
Biggest difference between the Mexican and the Brazilian is the Brazilian has "horns".

johnnyd

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2787685
Brazilian Dragon is one of my favorite Eels, I would love to have one someday. They are not horribly aggressive like a Tessy, but they are still pretty rough, small fish and fingers beware. There was a guy that used to hang out here that had a great one, it was about 30 inch long, he had it in a 300 gallon with a bunch of Tangs and 2 big Lions.
Biggest difference between the Mexican and the Brazilian is the Brazilian has "horns".
yes this is what i bought. i paid 150 for in in the diver's den and im thinking they priced it wrong? do there usually coast more? it also does have the horns. it was shipped today so i should have it tomm. it was titled baby brazilian horned moray eel and it is 12" long and looks just like that one in the thread you posted.

johnnyd

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2787630
I might be wrong but I think you might be getting a dragon moray . I'm not too sure but I believe it might be a Mexican/Brazilian dragon moray. Not as colorful as the Hawaiian but still a pretty cool moray .
yes you are right is called a brazilian dragon moray.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by johnnyd
http:///forum/post/2787762
yes this is what i bought. i paid 150 for in in the diver's den and im thinking they priced it wrong? do there usually coast more? it also does have the horns. it was shipped today so i should have it tomm. it was titled baby brazilian horned moray eel and it is 12" long and looks just like that one in the thread you posted.
Thats a great deal and a great size on him...I think Bobby got his at a much bigger size, thus the higher price tag. Personally I would rather get a smaller one like yours....Hope you can post some pics when he comes in, again I think my favorite Eel out there short of the $1,000 Hawaiian and Japanese Dragons.

el guapo

There is a Mexican dragon at the LFS its nice looking and looks like it could be a nasty fella to deal with . Just a little too rough looking for my tank right now maybe someday I will have space to have an eel tank .
Be sure to share some pictures .

jp30338

The Brazillian Dragon eels are really cool. My lfs had one, but by the time I went to get it, someone had already picked it up
Anyway, they had it priced at $149.99.

myerst22

Your 55 will be fine for some time with a brazilian dragon. Very passive and mostly a cristacean eater so they they for the most part ignore fish. Just don't over feed them as many do with morays. May 2-3 times a week to cessation. Use a feeding stick and feed crabs, shrimp(with shells on, clams. If yo can get live cockles, brazilian dragons are amazing to watch them pry them open for their food. You will need to get a larger display eventually and would recommend a 150 rather than a 125. The extra 6" depth makes a world of difference for the all the fishes health. i have a Hawaiian Dragon, though some think people on this thread think people should not keep them. Good luck with your eel. One last thing. These eels are notorious for not eating for weeks when first introduced and is completely normal and you should not worry. Here are couple of pics of Dragon, can't wait to see pics of yours. Tim

johnnyd

Originally Posted by myerst22
http:///forum/post/2789272
Your 55 will be fine for some time with a brazilian dragon. Very passive and mostly a cristacean eater so they they for the most part ignore fish. Just don't over feed them as many do with morays. May 2-3 times a week to cessation. Use a feeding stick and feed crabs, shrimp(with shells on, clams. If yo can get live cockles, brazilian dragons are amazing to watch them pry them open for their food. You will need to get a larger display eventually and would recommend a 150 rather than a 125. The extra 6" depth makes a world of difference for the all the fishes health. i have a Hawaiian Dragon, though some think people on this thread think people should not keep them. Good luck with your eel. One last thing. These eels are notorious for not eating for weeks when first introduced and is completely normal and you should not worry. Here are couple of pics of Dragon, can't wait to see pics of yours. Tim

that eels awesome looking, with all the teeth. i got the eel this morning and i feed it 30 mins later and it ate. i also feed it tonight and ate 4 small krill and 1silverside. i ll post some pics tonight or tomm.

johnnyd

question about feeding. you say 2-3 times a week, but everytime i feed my fish (morning afternoon and night) the eel smells the food and starts to swim around and looks hungry so i end up feeding him a silverside or two.

scuba diva

Can't wait to see it! I had a blue ribbon eel and as soon as it hit my 55 tank, it swallowed my yellow watchman! I had had that fish 3 years! Did not eat the tiger pistol though?! Huh?

johnnyd

some pics of the brazilian dragon and the new snowflake i added tonight. the brazilian eel bit the SFE tonight didnt do any damage so i feed both eels. the were face to face and like "smelling each other then they were fine on oppsite sides of the tank. i have the PVC in for a temp. until i get my order of rocks in (50lbs).

psusocr1

johnnyd

cool video, and that dragon is really nice. would it be fine in a 120g or 125? looking into getting a 120 because its 48" long so i can keep my MH lights and anemone in there.

kjr_trig

He is a beauty Johnny, good luck with him, and I think a 6 foot tank or more is going to be needed in the near future.
Bobby (psusocr1) if you check back, good to see you and when are you setting up another tank?

psusocr1

Johnny,
Like i mentioned my dragon made my 300 gallon look small so IMO a 120 or a 125 is going to be crammed int he long run which i beleive will only cause him to make it "his tank" on the other hand if you have a larger tank like mine then all the fish have their own space to swim so to speak which causes much less conflict. It will also be a challange keeping corals with him in there.
KJR,
how have u been? im hopefulyl closing on a new home in a month or so. Ive already bought a custon made starphire 600 gallon and im slowly putting all the equiptment together for it. I just have to wait to get the house before setup..Pics to follow!!