breaking in 85 gallon tank

jazzfish

I want to break in a new 85 gallon tank by drawing water of my established 29 gallon tank/10 gal fuge. How "fast" can I do this? I normally draw off 5 gallons a week for water changes. Would I get away with ten gallons a week? Or two gallons a day? Any thoughts/opinions? And what ratio of new saltwater to cycled water can I put into the new tank and still avoid a long cycling period? I will be attaching the dsb in my fuge to the 85 gal to give it as much beneficial bacteria as possible.

T

tuningvis

are you trying to aviod the 85 from cycling?
is it already setup ?
i dont understand .. i think...
why dont you just let it cycle :confused:

lefty

If I'm understanding your questions correctly, the saltwater doesn't have an effect on the cycle. It's the live rock and inhabitants that determine how the cycle turns out. :)
-lefty

jazzfish

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't explain it right. How many water changes can the 29 gallon tank take? I figure the more "seasoned" water in the 85 gal tank the better. It will be cycling, of course, but I'll be giving it water from the 29 gal to help it along.

jazzfish

I will also be moving live rock from the small tank gradually. You see, the 29 will eventually be the refugium. But I can't just hook it up to the new tank and expect my poor fish to deal with 85 gallons of new water all at once! SO I guess the ? is how best to make the transition.

snipe

But wouldnt there be bacteria in the water also. When you place sand in the tank it is cloady as can be. But the bacteria spreads and pulls the sand down. So wouldnt the bacteria have to be in the water to get to the sand?

swnewb

I had to move my 29 FW from my office to my house not too long ago. I kept the drift wood, substrate and filter media in water, filled the tank with all new water at my house, set everything back up and put the fish back in. No problems, no ammonia.
IMO, as long as the water was same temp and salinity in the new as it was in the old tank, just put everything over from the 29 to the 85 and things should be fine. You will have the same amount of bioload with the same amount of bacteria.

maeistero

how's about no water changes for a week, move everything you can to the new tank. your fish will be in a few inches of water, but add new water instead of changes. (at a greater rate than usual). your fish should be minimally affected as long as the new tank is clean. live rock might suffer a bit if it's above water, but it depends largely on how deep your 29 can fill the big tank. i don't know how a reef would take it (probably bad)

jazzfish

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to break in the new 85 gal tank for a week or two, take out thirty gallons, then add the contents of my present tank. I also have a ten gallon tank of live sand I'll use as a sump to get things moving.
From your experience it sounds as though it won't be as hard as I thought.