breaking up live rock

emm0909

I've got a ton of liverock from a larger tank but I have a bunch of smaller tanks. I was thinking to breaking up some of the larger rocks so that I could have more structure in the tanks.
Is there anything I should know before I start cracking them appart?
I was going to take a chisel or prybar with a small sledge to crack them appart.

rusting

Originally Posted by emm0909
I've got a ton of liverock from a larger tank but I have a bunch of smaller tanks. I was thinking to breaking up some of the larger rocks so that I could have more structure in the tanks.
Is there anything I should know before I start cracking them appart?
I was going to take a chisel or prybar with a small sledge to crack them appart.
Wear safety glasses

gsd

Other than safety glasses just a chisel or old screw driver and regular hammer will do it. Live rock is not very structurally sound and is relatively soft and easy to crack apart. Try to not hit on rock with the hammer itself so it keeps from pulverizing the rock in the process of busting it into smaller pieces. If I have a lot to break up I lay down a clean piece of palstic sheeting etc so I can scarf up all the debri as it is all good, no matter how small it is. If I only have a little bit to do, I use a tupper ware tub or bucket to hold the rock over and break

laddy

It's like breaking up any other kind of rock....chisel works.....screwdriver works.....I've even used a 'padel bit' from the garage.