breeding fish for food.

loopy101

looking for a type of easy fast breeding saltwater fish to breed for use of feeding a spearing mantis and maybe some other agressie fish down the road. but mainly for a mantis any thoughts woul be great thanks!!

S

shrimpy brains

Not sure about fish?? Most peeps use ghost shrimp for feeders, but I don't think many breed them. I know fw mollies can and have been switched to sw and I think they breed well, but not sure about the nutrition.
Also, I think the best thing is to try to train them to eat processed food. There are many tools used to move the food in front of the fish/shrimp, to convince them, they are getting live food.
You can also google white shrimp. I think they breed well!

cranberry

It would be cheaper and easier to go to the store to buy them... heck, it would be cheaper to buy them online and pay for shipping rather than breed your own.
If you want the experiencing of trying to raise a fish, that's cool. But it requires more research, time and money than it takes to start up your first SW tank.

loopy101

Ok thank you cranberry and shrimp for brains! i thank you both for you thoughts on this! i am just doing some research on alot of different things and crazy ideas i get once in a while.was just hoping that it would be a cheaper way to create food and have a good learning experience! but i think i will wait on trying to breed and raise fish fry till my clowns get to that point if they do. Just so many ideas and not enough money or room for that matter! lol
P.S. sorry Mr Clownfish i agree it is sad but it is also a part of life.

cranberry

It is a great experience, everyone should do it at some point. But OMG the work that was involved. I don't want to think about the money.

creamhorses

I raise mollies in my sump. I just acclimated FW Mollies to salt over a week or so, and put them in the sump, where there's LR, a couple peppermint shrimp, crabs and snails that take the ride down the drain tanks above.
I use the fry to feed my BTA and Snow Flake Eel. I feed the brooders flakes a couple times a week, and harvest the fry in a trap.
My sump is a 150g rubbermaide stock tank. I put cheato in to give the fry some hiding places.
Cost of the 3 females, 1 male. $5. I have a very small bio-load, so the waste from the brooders actually feed my corals too.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Creamhorses
http:///forum/post/3174347
I raise mollies in my sump. I just acclimated FW Mollies to salt over a week or so, and put them in the sump, where there's LR, a couple peppermint shrimp, crabs and snails that take the ride down the drain tanks above.
I use the fry to feed my BTA and Snow Flake Eel. I feed the brooders flakes a couple times a week, and harvest the fry in a trap.
My sump is a 150g rubbermaide stock tank. I put cheato in to give the fry some hiding places.
Cost of the 3 females, 1 male. $5. I have a very small bio-load, so the waste from the brooders actually feed my corals too.
the feeding of freshwater fish (even if they are acclimated to salt) isnt recomended for marine organisms. they are not a nutritional enough food source. and tend to cause health problems down the road long term for the animal being fed.

fretfreak13

Mollies are brackish, not really freshwater. lol don't know if that makes a difference, I just wanted to chime in there.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3175819
Mollies are brackish, not really freshwater. lol don't know if that makes a difference, I just wanted to chime in there.
I'm sorry thats not correct.
SOME mollies are brackish. For the most part though, mollies are inhabitants of freshwater streams flowing across coastal plains. The water chemistry is typically hard and alkaline, pH 7.5 to 8.0 and hardness 15-30˚dH. Although water temperature may vary depending on geographical location, most mollies seem prefer warm water environments and are most common where the water temperature is around 25-28˚C (77-82˚F). These streams aren’t saline though, and while mollies certainly are found in brackish waters, that isn’t their primary habitat.