Breeding fish

opazen

What kind of fish might I have luck with breeding.
It would be nice to have something to difray the cost of this hobby. Corals would work too as long as they wernt high light. Any ideas/hints
Adam stewart
stewart11986 (AOL SN)

krusk

I read alot about Breeding marine fish
Clown
Orchid Dotted Black
Cardinal
etc
but I think Clown is the easiest(although I did not have any sucessful yet)
I will keep trying, trying and trying

I really don't think that their has been much luck
in breeding salt water fish,if anything like fresh
water,it's alot of extra work.Like for starters
you must remove the babies right away or they
will become dinner for the other fish.

tykill

I just had a bar gobie lay eggs. I didn't do any thing but let them be. Two days later something ate the eggs. Maybe next time I'll try and set up a tank just for breeding.

Banghaii(sp?) Cardinals are a good choice. I cant get mine to quit breeding and with a little effort, you could have quite a few survivors. They are mouth brooders and the male carries the eggs & then babies for a total of Approx. 6 weeks. When you see the babies swimming around in his mouth(you have to watch closly) you can put the male in a net breeder or a seperate tank until he releases the little ones. The babies feed quite well on live baby brine(feeding the brine just before feeding). I have had alot of success with these guys and, as bad as it seems, I just quite taking the male out... I have had only a couple survive natural release. In nature, they release there babies into a long spined urchin where they are somewhat protected by the spines. I havce also had my cloens breed 3 times and have had ALOT of babies, but to be honest, I havent had alot of success with rounding them up after hatching and they have only survived for a week or so. Hope this helps.

jhueb12

I also heard Banghi(sp?) cardinals are pretty easy because they are mouth brooders. They are supposed to be relatively easy to feed(but its not like feeding adults) because they are mouth breed. Just be sure to provide enough food and hiding spots, like a makeshift sea urchin.

brian'sreef

globe urchins are reef safe... i also put a post on this same quiestion in the fish discussion forum... when trying to breed clowns a good way to do it is to have two tanks set up.. one for the parent clowns and one for your future babies.. put only an optional sand bed and a clay flower pot in the tank with the pair and feed them very well.. when an egg clutch appears watch it when the eggs become transparent and you can see the eyes of the little guys still in their eggs.. remove the pot and put it into the other tank.. when they hatch they can be fed baby brine .. have fun..
Brian