Bright orange dots on my live rock

rael

Lately I have these little pinhead spots showing up on my LR that are bright orange. Is this a bad thing?

b0b82

Cool got a pic? Live Rock is like a box of chocolates you never know what you’re going to get.

rael

No, I don't have a camera that would be good enough. The rock has been in there since January, these spots just showed up a couple of weeks ago. It probably isn't anything to be concerned about, but I figured I'd ask.

rael

Upon further review, I doubt it is sponges. It is on some non-live rock decorations that the kids got me. Anything else it might be? There are probably 30 or so dots on both the rock and the non-rock decorations. I just want to make sure this isn't a "bad thing".

saltfinsax

I'f your talking about bright orange allmost floresent spots, I get the same thing. Thay show up alot when the daylights light turns off and seem to stay in the same spot for a couple days and are gone. I kinda thing that its a algae that has a zoealgae with floresent stuff.
I am sure someone can explane it better then what I just did.
Anyway I have had this moving around in the tank for months and they can get realy bright at times.

groupergenius

I have noticed the same in my tanks now and then. I agree and thinks it's a type of algae. It never seems to grow much in size, and doesn't stay for long.

Dakine2250

I was just looking for some info on this. as I have noticed I think “one” in my tank. could be more but I only found one. I have noticed it move; as I watched it on a rock for about 12 minutes. it slowly moved down the side a very short distance. it kind of was standing up straight upon moving. the other time I seen it it was pretty flat looking. This is the flat picture. Best picture I could get. still don’t know what it is lol
D73A147F-55CA-43C3-A7D1-8E3E243849EC.jpeg