Brine Shrimp Eggs?

kappadoku

Has anyone ever added brine shrimp eggs to their aquarium? I was thinking of adding these to my established 12 gallon to make a constant food source for my seahorses, but dont know how sucessfull they will be.
Anyone ever tried it?

nacl-h2o

I don't add the eggs to the aquariums. I put them in a cup of tank water and set it next to the light 24-48hrs later most have hatched then I put it in the tanks. Everybody loves them the baby brine and some eggs.

johnnysalt

Originally posted by DAN THE MAN:
<STRONG>I don't add the eggs to the aquariums. I put them in a cup of tank water and set it next to the light 24-48hrs later most have hatched then I put it in the tanks. Everybody loves them the baby brine and some eggs.</STRONG>
I've tried this alot....with an aerator and all....light next to it....water from tank....a little more saltier than tank, never worked....what's up with that? My lfs just got some baby brine shrimp a few days ago, so I just bought them instead! Any other tricks to hatching them?!
:confused:

kappadoku

I was thinking of just adding the eggs to my aquarium, and see if the were able to hatch and live in the LR and LS.

jacrmill

never tried it so i dont know for sure, but my guess is, that as soon as you put them in there, those eggs will be eaten by whatever fish you have in that tank. most of them probably wouldnt even hit the bottom of your tank.

nacl-h2o

I tried putting them in the main tank with no success thats why I do it the other way.
Johnnysalt I don't have a problem hatching them, but I can't raise them what ever hatches in 2 days is feed to the tank then. I don't try to keep them. I have gotten brine eggs before that would not hatch LFS said you can get a bad or old batch. I traded them in on another tube. Also there is no reason to put them in water saltier than your tank they will hatch fine in tank weter salinity .025.

sonny

One of the problems with hatching brine shrimp is that they like it cooler than most aquariums. I've heard of people hatching them in a refrigerator, but I don't know how you get the air pump to run inside a fridge! One problem with putting them directly in your tank is that the eggs will float up to the top and create a mess. The eggs float, so you'll end up skimming all of the eggs off anyway. Also, it is unlikely you'll be able to keep a population growing in a tank together with something that will be eating them. You have to have an adult population to produce eggs. Another thing is that brine shrimp are not enough to sustain seahorses for very long. They are so tiny when they hatch.
Good luck,
Sonny

jond

A very popular frozen brine shrimp supplier also sell a couple of hatchery kits. One is a little more work with a two liter bottle, air pump, etc. The other however is a very simple black box with a clear plastic vial on top. The eggs and salt are packaged together and you mix with tap water in the box. You then fill the vial with tap water and place upside down on the box.(there is a hole the the lid of both) When the brine hatch, they are attracted to the light and in the vial they go. I usually have brine is less than 24 hours and continue to hatch more for 2-3 days.(from one egg packet) It is very inexpensive and works well. Check it out. :cool:

lewolf

I'm suprised by all the responses here. I threw a bunch of brine shrimp eggs in my tank about a week ago. The whole tank is practically overrun with the critters now. I've been wondering if maybe I made a mistake!!
I'll grant that I don't have to many fish (only one in fact) but there definately wasn't any trouble with skimmer, temperature, aeration, etc...