Bring to me, your friendly oppinions!

killafins

I have a 55 gallon aquarium and I am interested in three types of species. I have done some research and fact wise everything is okay but I want people's oppinions because we all know what fact brings us.
Okay, I am not going to have live rock or any of that in my 55, but I will have lots and lots and lots of hiding spaces. I am interested in purchasing a porcupine puffer, I actually have it on hold already. This guy rocks... a lion fish and finally a morea eal, most likely a snowflake since they run to be about 15 dollars at the pet store.
Now i realize how big the eels get but that will not be a problem for a few years. I understand that the puffer may feel that he needs to bite the lion fishe's poisonous spines but blah blah blah, facts say that that won't last for long, they would leave eachother alone.
My tank has just been established and everything is A okay. Now this is the question, how would the three of them interact with eachother. I am also interested in putting my killer hermit crab in there, how would he deal with the eel?
Also, what other stuff can i put in there with those three critters? (not fish, i would be satisfied with the three of them) but invertebraes. Thanks alot...

tahoe ocean

Wish I could help, but the only thing I know is that I babysat my brother's snowflake in my tank when it was FO and he ate EVERYBODY! He was still little back then. Now he's the only fish in my bro's tank and he is fat and happy. My brother buys damsels whenever he finds them on sale and hermits and snails, but they all eventually end up in K2's belly.

Porky's are very neat fish , but they get large . What kind of lionfish you considering ? and 55 would be fine for a dwarf but not a voliton. A snowflake would be fine in the tank.
you said :
Now i realize how big the eels get but that will not be a problem for a few years. I understand that the puffer may feel that he needs to bite the lion fishe's poisonous spines but blah blah blah, facts say that that won't last for long, they would leave eachother alone.
There are reasons people tell you they nip at spines. The spines of lion fish need to be pressed on in order to inject it's poison. It is very stressful on a lion to have that happen. Lion fish don't like to be stressed out as they will go off of food and can get ich.
My advise is this , If you want a lion , go with a dwarf. Get a smaller species of puffer, like one of the many sharp nose puffers. The Eel will be fine and if you keep them well fed they will not bother any of your fish.
What's this killer hermit ? I am taking it as a large hermit crab. Careful with those guys I lost a tusk fish to one. I could easily see a large hermit getting a hold of the eel or even the lion and Thats a rather expensive meal for a hermit crab. I put mine with my friends queen trigger, I did get a little satisfaction out of that, but it did not bring back my $70 fish.

novice150

IMO, that combination wont last too long in a 55. The eel would be ok, but the volitan and the pork will both outgrow a 55. More importantly, the waste these fish produce will cause your water parameters to be the main concern.
If your set on a puffer and a lion for tanks mates with a SFE, I'd recommend a dwarf lion, and a smaller puffer.
HTH

Bo: ya , Canebrakes one of the prettiest rattlers. I have kept a pair for a couple of years, for a rattler they are mellow.
No prob NOVICE , it is just that 2 people are thinking the samething.

grouperhead

I've got a thing for Banded rocks, Carolina red pygmys, and good ole EDB's. What other hots do you have experience in? Bo

Ok , Praire rattles , timber rattlers , and copper heads. animals i can see around here in Nebraksa and Kansas. Most of these i have seen in the wild and I just messed with long enough to get a pic and add it to my photo album.
The ones i have kept:
Copper heads
Praire rattlers
timber rattlers
gaboon viper (3') that guy was scary
south american coral snake
1.2 eyelash vipers (yellow phase (one sucessful breeding)
Pair of canebrakes (never could get them to breed)
2 cobra species (i would never recomend anyone on these guys, just to nasty)
and one of my all time favorites was a neo-tropical rattler. Beautiful , BUT GOD he was just nasty !
I have had thru a friend in virgina the chance to work with indian, kings and monacle cobra's as well as a large collection of rattle snakes.
My hots now is very tamed down to 1 rear fanged FWC and a juv. Copper head and a real pretty but nasty tempered hypo-melanistic praire rattler. I still go out a few times in spring and then in fall and photograph local herps. This year i am planning for a few days in New Mexio and Arizona. Its kinda wierd to plan a vacation around were I can find more herps to photograph. As well as a place to get away from it all and enjoy the outdoors !! But thats what i enjoy doing !! BTW when you're married wives tend to get a little freaky about this stuff . LOL mines still getting used to it :D

n8

I would have to agree on going with a dwarf ...personally i had a dwarf lion and a dog face puffer together for more than a year And mannaged to keep several nice mushrooms and a chocolate chip star fish...after a year though the puffer ate everything but left the lion well enough alone

wanabebell

Careful with those guys I lost a tusk fish to one. I could easily see a large hermit getting a hold of the eel or even the lion and Thats a rather expensive meal for a hermit crab. I put mine with my friends queen trigger, I did get a little satisfaction out of that, but it did not bring back my $70 fish.
was that a harlequin tusk
was it ausie
because if you paid 70 dollars for an ausie tusk im gonna cry
i paid 200 for mine

xdave

I'd have to agree that smaller species of puffer and lion would make that combo ok. The only bad scenario that comes to mind would be feeding live foods, especially shrimp. If the lion corrals the shrimp over to a rock the eel is under you could have trouble.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
this thread is 4 years old