bringing in new fish

quinconte

Since I am new in the forum and in the hobby ( coming from fresh water) I have a question that might sound silly or maybe was previously answered. Can you bring you new fish from the store to a QT tank containing hyposalinity treatment water?
Another question. Does someone have any list of fish that are 100% community, non aggressive?
Thanks!
Quinconte

S

saxman

Yes, you can add new fish straight to hypo (SG = 1.09 measured by a refractometer, NOT a swing-arm hydrometer). However, I'd simply QT them first unless there's a reason to treat them. Hypo only works on ectoparasites, BTW. It's also a bit tuff to maintain pH in a hypo tank if you're not used to it.
As for "100% safe community fish", you'll have to give us more details...tank size, setup, and what type of fish/tank are you shooting for?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/386529/bringing-in-new-fish#post_3395810
Yes, you can add new fish straight to hypo (SG = 1.009 measured by a refractometer, NOT a swing-arm hydrometer). However, I'd simply QT them first unless there's a reason to treat them. Hypo only works on ectoparasites, BTW. It's also a bit tuff to maintain pH in a hypo tank if you're not used to it.
As for "100% safe community fish", you'll have to give us more details...tank size, setup, and what type of fish/tank are you shooting for?
(added that extra zero)
Usually, I've better luck with the fish surviving the first days of hypo if the salinity comes down from lfs sg (usually around 1.021) SLOWLY, like over at least 24 hours, 36-48 better. Some fish are more hardy than others when it comes to sg too. Damsles are very hardy and not affected much by a large sg swing, while some butterfly & tangs will go into osmotic shock quick if the sg changes either way too fast (esp. up)
I still agree with saxs' comments though.

quinconte

Thank folks! the tank is a 55 gal. fish only, although I'm thinking on adding some anemones.
THANKS AGAIN!

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinconte http:///forum/thread/386529/bringing-in-new-fish#post_3395965
double 48" t5 hO.
I don't think that's gonna be enough light for most species. Maybe a quad bulb unit would be closer. Several species of anemone eat meat - but use the light to digest it thru bacteria that need alot of light to breakdown the protiens into somthing the animal can use. Did you have a paticular species in mind? Is this anemone gonna host some type of clown? (or hope it would)